1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The final days of McDonald's?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Oct 16, 2015.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I also remember moving to Maryland in 1976 and walking to a local McDonald's. The Olympic Games contest gave you a ticket. If America got a gold, you won a hamburger; fries for silver, and a small coke for bronze.

I am almost positive that me or my brother had olympic tickets that gave us all three in one event (swimming? track?). I remember it being awesome.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So it's safe to say that Taco Tuesdays at Taco Tico tickled your taste buds?

Ace and SpeedTchr like this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I remember in the late 90s/early 2000s when McDonalds would occasionally have a 2 for $2 special on Big Macs a couple of times a year. I used to get four.
    In an unrelated occurrence, I put on roughly 20 pounds from 1999-2001.

Ace likes this.
  4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Before my family moved south, one of these was down the street and near the air base gate.

I was endlessly amused by it as a child.

bobs-big-boy-statue-222x300.jpg

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They did that in '84 as well. It was great because America kept piling up medals because of the Russian bloc boycott.

There's also a Simpsons episode that spoofed something like it because Krusty had a Krustyburger promotion in which he got financially killed because of the boycott.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I remember that 1984 promo well. My buddies and I ate quite a few Big Macs courtesy of Mary Lou Retton. That was in the days when I could eat anything and still be skinny.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Krusty: I'm gonna spit in every 10th burger.
    Homer: I like those odds.

Batman likes this.
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Because I am 51, and the 1976 Olympics was a long time ago, i went to the Google machine to check my facts.

yes, they did the promotion in 1976, and yes they did it in 1984. In 1984, it was a frigging Big Mac as the gold winner prize

ADVERTISING; BIG MAC'S OLYMPIC GIVEAWAY

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Surprised to see the Burger Chef references here; thought that was much more of a local/regional place around me.

Another blast from my past was Dog and Suds. Great root beer, and despite the reference to hot dogs in the name, the burgers were the go to choice: had that char broiled flavor and the secret/special sauce--good stuff. Was one of those drive up places where they served you in your car.

Shocked to see from wiki there are actually a handful still around today:

dog and suds 1.jpg dog and suds 2.jpg

10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

But what kind? There's about a million different Big Boy chains I think. Around me it's Frisch's Big Boy. Went to a Big Boy after covering a game a number of years ago on the Illinois/Indiana border (in Illinois). I don't remember what name that Big Boy was, but it was a lot different from Frisch's.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Shoney's Big Boy in Georgia.

12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Someone mentioned Culver's earlier, and man, I dig those. But I think those are best in moderation, even than a regular burger. Butter burgers = beyond greasy. Good news for me is I can only have them in moderation. Closest one is probably 40 minutes away.

Draft saved Draft deleted