1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Carson: Bungling Surgeon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Either one.

How does he poll afterward?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I guess if he was smart enough not to make that his apology, he'd have been smart enough not to write what he did.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Dick, we get the point you're trying to make.

But feel free to continue to beat it into the ground.

5. Dick Whitman

So what do you think the answer is?

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Trump's casual supporters go down. His hardcore base nod and say he's the only one telling it like it is.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yep.

Donald Trump : Hardcore racist assholes :: Ron Paul : Hardcore Libertarians.

8. Dick Whitman

OK. So he's polling about 30 percent now. What would he poll after such a proclamation? I understand it's unknowable, but I'm just soliciting opinions here.

I'm reminded of the Borat skit, "Throw the Jew down the well."

9. MisterCreosote

I'd speculate his numbers would go up 2 to 3 points, followed by unprecedented media hand-wringing, followed by another 1-2 point jump after the racists circle the wagons around Trump to fight off the liberal brainwashing cabal.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'd guess that his numbers would jump up a few points but his unfavorable ratings would also increase.

The second choice number would drop even lower. After a quick bit of googling, CBS News had an October poll that said 20 percent of Republicans would not support Trump if he became the nominee.

That seems remarkable to me.

Election 2016: CBS News poll shows Donald Trump still leads, Ben Carson in second - CBS News

11. Dick Whitman

But he's clobbering Hillary head-to-head. So they may have changed their minds.

I think his numbers would hold pretty steady at first after saying it, as people's immediate reaction would be to double down to save face. Long-term, they would quietly slink away, probably blaming the media for political correctness. It's like what happened to Carson after the pyramids-West Point double fiasco. His supporters virulently supported him in the immediate aftermath, but apparently deep down were suddenly uneasy.

12. MisterCreosote

There's no such thing as being wrong or being an asshole anymore.

Every conflict is caused solely by meanypants liberals being mean to people who disagree with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.