1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getting out of the business" resource thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I usually just submit financial posts from this board and tell them I'm Ragu.

Ace likes this.
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That only works if you are applying to be a billionaire hedge fund manager.

Riptide likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And you never get a response because the HR director sees how long the posts are and says to themself, "I'm not reading all this."

4. Riptide

It's an outrage. I must address this in detail.

5. I now edit proposals for an internet security company, and I have less of a life than I did when I was a sportswriter. They just pay me better and I don't have to commute anywhere, which means that my wife and I can live anywhere that will offer her a job, but my work-life balance has now gone to zero.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The proposals are so riveting you can't tear yourself away? Or in working from home you are always working?

7. Working from home means I'm always working, and it's also the only way I can get everything done. The workload is starting to make sportswriting look like I had it easy.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That sucks. That's one problem with working at home. Bosses might feel a bit guilty (or at least possibly aware) if you were in the office till 9 p.m. every night. But not if you are working till midnight at home.

9. No, they're aware of it, because they're doing the exact same thing.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That sucks. At least with sports writing you get out of the house.

11. longtimecomin

longtimecomin Member

Here's my story. Not sure it adds much, but it's a reminder that sometimes, we get help from places we don't expect.

I lost my sports writing job in May. I talked tough about how it would all work out, but I was a little nervous. After 20-plus years, I knew I wasn't going to be in demand for a full-time gig, even if I had been a Pulitzer winner. (I most certainly am not.)

I had been active in the Newspaper Guild and in our local. A labor friend of mine told me in July about an opening with a major union in Washington, DC., in its communications department. I got the job by the end of July. My salary more than doubled and I am getting benefits I only dreamed about, such as free health care. Plus, I am living in Washington, which has been beyond awesome.

And frankly, I don't miss being a sports writer as much as I thought I would. Turning out a terrific feature or a great game story on deadline or breaking news was a nice rush, but the industry is pretty much screwed. I got tired of making a pittance of what recent college grads were making in other industries. Now, I can help my son pay for college and hopefully do some nice things for my Mom. That's a great feeling.

It's nice to have weekends and evenings off and have a social life. Plus, I can still be a fan. I love watching sports. The difference now is that I don't have to cover lousy college basketball games in December. I may explore some freelance opportunities at some point, but right now, it feels pretty good to get a well-earned break from it all.

I don't have a ton of advice other than to be open to new experiences and also remember that your experiences in the past can lead to great opportunities. I got involved in the guild because I believe workers deserve a voice on the job. It led to maybe the best opportunity of my life.

Good luck.

murphyc, Ace, Baron Scicluna and 3 others like this.
  12. Riptide

Jesus. A 20-year vet, and your salary doubled. More than doubled.

That's awful. And fantastic. Congrats, man.

longtimecomin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted