1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Songbird likes this.
  2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This is true. I just believe the insurance companies (and corporations) took advantage of the change to make more money or pay less toward our benefits. Not that they would do anything like that.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's not a rational world, so you can't. Or at least not in this country with any solution that doesn't involve decades and generational shifts.

In a rational world, there'd be massive mandatory buybacks, severe restrictions on manufacture, and severe restrictions on the ability of civilians to own them. (and yes, I know there'd be a black market).

Songbird likes this.
  4. RickStain

We understand that perfectly well. Reasons 1 and 3 are petulance (often referred to as the Backfire Effect, the bizarre human cognitive bias that causes us to dig in our heels the more obvious it is that we are wrong, which is exactly what gun advocates are doing), and reason 2 is the disease of the belief that feelings outweigh facts.

5. RickStain

It actually is true. Mass shootings are only secondarily a gun control problem. Ordinary shootings are the bigger problem with our lack of gun control.

Mass shootings are primarily a copycat problem.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

33,000 deaths a year, if you add up homicides, accidents, and suicides. Two Viet Nams every three years.

7. RickStain

But people are mad at the vague concept of "government infringement," so those people's right to life was forfeited.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, nothing except the free market, which was keeping premiums down a lot better than what we have now.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Doubling down on stupidity.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't they understand, only Muslims can be terrorists? If the shooter is black, he's a thug and if he's white, he's mentally ill.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If the media wouldn't report on this, there would be fewer gun massacres in the future.

12. RickStain

Correct. I'm paying attention to this one because it's actually close to home and I know some people very, very loosely connected to it. If it weren't close to home, I'd ignore it because it'd just be rubbernecking.

Draft saved Draft deleted