1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

And yet - that isn't even 1/5th of the murders we have annually via abortion. Not even 1/5th - but that's different, I know, I know....

2. zagoshe

The lefties in the media are really pathetic right now in their attempts to drive the narrative now that we know 1) Obama and his "intelligence people" were either clueless or lied 2) these suspects were terrorists and 3) these suspects were brown and muslim......

Now, all of the sudden we get idiocy like the New York Daily News cover

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Not sure if ignoring something would make it go away.

BDC99 likes this.
  4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

They miss their extremely government subsidized health care?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It can decrease the prevalence when attention is a large part of the cause.

We know for a scientifically observed fact that media voluntarily downplaying coverage of suicides helps reduce them. U.S. media is pretty much the only one who doesn't have *some* sort of industry-wide practice of reducing that sort of coverage.

It's not at all hard to suggest that mass shootings originate from a similar effect. When as a society we are all screaming "NO! Not that! Anything but *that*" we're providing a road map to deranged and/or evil people pointing them to where they can make us the most upset.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  6. zagoshe

So what you are saying is that suicides are given coverage in Japan? I mean, they have an extremely high suicide rate and that is amazing because they have no guns and we all know that murders and suicides only happen via evil guns!!!

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And the idea that this lunatic was looking to be famous is questionable at best. I think there are copycat aspects at times but this doesn't seem to be one of those cases.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Besides, they work just as hard as anyone. They deserve the coverage. ;)

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Japan has a very low murder rate. 1.0 per 100,000, compared to 4.8 per 100,000 in the US.

"In 2008, the U.S. had over 12 thousand firearm-related homicides. All of Japan experienced only 11, fewer than were killed at the Aurora shooting alone. And that was a big year: 2006 saw an astounding two, and when that number jumped to 22 in 2007, it became a national scandal. By comparison, also in 2008, 587 Americans were killed just by guns that had discharged accidentally."

How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths

10. zagoshe

Japan has a very high suicide rate but there is no way that could be without guns!!!

And what is Russia's murder rate? I mean, I love freedom-hating gun control whiners who always cherry pick the countries they want to prove their point.....

Russia has extremely tough gun laws and less than 5 percent as many guns on the streets as the U.S. and the murder rate is double of ours.

But I know, I know, that doesn't fit into the narrative which is "we don't have a culture problem and fucked up entitled people with mental health issues and no capacity to handle failure or rejection thanks to 40 years of psychobabble and pussification of Americans, no, inanimate objects that can't fire themselves but scare soccer moms are the problem....."

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We've talked about this. It's not necessarily that they are seeking fame. We don't necessarily know what motivates it. But people aren't getting this idea in a flash of independently conceived evil.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Last line is Trumpian Speak.

Draft saved Draft deleted