1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well yeah, that whole life begins at birth thing different.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone would argue that it's the only factor. But cherry-picking Russia, which has its own set of problems and factors driving its rate, doesn't prove your point in the face of all the other peer nations with low rates and harsh gun laws.

I realize you're going to scream at me and ridicule me in response, and I'm OK with that. I can be a pain in people's ass here, too, though I think my way is much more playful and easier to take than your angry white man schtick. I am also at peace with our country's decision to live with the violence as the cost of this particular freedom.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This couple had a fucking bomb making factory in their garage. I think they could have found a way to kill people even without guns.

The ides that the takeaway from this story is a need to change gun laws is astounding. It's also really tone deaf.

Trump just hit 36% in the CNN poll out this morning. He's up 20, and the entire poll was taken before the shooting. He's not talking about gun control, and this will likely get him another bump in the polls.

4. Dick Whitman

You keep saying that terrorism isn't being discussed here, or downplayed. I reject the premise.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Good point. I just don't see most of these cases changing if we didnt splash them on CNN or the front page.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This is a good point. I was surprised by the immediate gun control calls on this one. But it is just a knee-jerk reaction to another shooting.

7. YankeeFan

Killer's dad sounds like a nice guy:

Slain California gunman Syed Farook grew up a home so tense that his mother divorced his father whom she accused of being an abusive alcoholic, according to court records.

Farook's mother, Rafia, described her husband in 2006 as "irresponsible, negligent and an alcoholic."

She said her husband attacked her in front of her children, dropped a TV on her and pushed her toward a car.

San Bernardino shooter Syed Farook grew up in abusive home

But, somehow he was able to get through our very tough immigration system.

As was the murderous wife.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Priceless. Not that they could have gotten that way after they arrived. Especially the "murderous wife" who was pretty clearly influenced by her US-born hubby.

9. Dick Whitman

I've seen speculation that it was the other way around.

10. YankeeFan

How do we know the murderous wife didn't influence the husband?

And, why the quotation marks? She truly is/was a murderous wife.

As for the abusive daddy, do you find that surprising? Women are treated like property in Islam. Abuse is common. Yet, we keep allowing Muslims to immigrate to America, and expect them to adopt our values.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Its certainly possible. But to bring up immigration is almost as odd as immediately screaming GUN CONTROL. She could just as easily been visiting for the weekend and pulled this off. And I shouldn't have said "clearly influenced"

12. YankeeFan

Dig into almost any of the life stories of the Muslim terrorists in America, and you will find evidence of domestic violence.

Remember the Chattanooga shooter's daddy:

Family court documents, filed by Abdulazeez’s mother in 2009 as part of preliminary divorce proceedings, describe yet another existence. Rasmia Ibrahim Abdulazeez accused the shooter’s father, Youssuf Saed Abdulazeez, “of repeatedly” beating her in the presence of their five children.

The elder Abdulazeez “struck his children without provocation” and sexually abused his wife on at least two occasions, the filing states.

Chattanooga shooter’s real, online lives seem to take divergent paths

How about Tamerlan Tsarnaev:

Judith Russell said her daughter was a sophomore at Suffolk University in Boston when she met Tamerlan Tsarnaev, a relationship the family opposed because he focused only on his prospective boxing career, cheated on her, and committed an act of domestic violence against her.

Jurors hear about Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s widow, Katherine, who married him despite family disapproval - The Boston Globe

These stories are not unique.

Songbird likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted