1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Spot on.

Gun control is definitely a discussion we need to have...but moreso in light of the Planned Parenthood attack, not the San Bernardino one, which is simply a case of a Muslim terrorist sleeper cell using whatever methods they had available to teach the infidels a lesson. Nothing more, nothing less, than that.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's the point. The available weapons used were legally purchased firearms.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's not irrelevant. We're allowing people to immigrate here who do not share our values.

And, even if the parents are good people, their kids are much more likely targets of Islamist recruitment than non-Muslim kids.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

YF, you want the reporting to be, "Radical Islamic terrorism strikes again." Full stop. And that is almost certainly what drove him to this. At the same time, I don't find it intellectually dishonest that reporters and citizens alike are a little baffled by how it played out, particularly since the first reports were that he left the party after having a dispute, then came back and carried this out, which I haven't seen corrected.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's entirely possible the problem is both guns AND Islamic terrorism.

FileNotFound, Key and BDC99 like this.
  6. YankeeFan

There are certainly some unique aspects to this story.

And, that's worth discussing/questioning.

What's not different though is most important. A first generation Muslim-American, who grew up surrounded by violence in the home, becomes more radical as he becomes more religious.

His radicalism drives him to murder.

The story isn't work place violence. It's not about what his co-workers might have done to "anger" him. It's not about gun control.

The common denominator in all Islamic terror is Islam.

TigerVols likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

Look, I get the argument that guns are a problem, even if I disagree with the "fixes" proposed.

But, the 9/11 terrorists didn't use a single gun. The Boston Marathon bombers didn't use a single gun. Muslims in Israel have been terrorizing Jews recently with knives.

Muslim terrorists are playing a long game. They're planning out their actions, and not acting spontaneously. (Even if in the case they may have altered their larger plan.) A lack of guns will not prevent them from committing acts of terror.

I'm much more open to such an argument in the case of a mentally disturbed individual, who may not have the capacity to plan out a more complicated attack, in the absence of a firearm.

Songbird likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The FBI is as yet unwilling to state what the motive is, at least according to the LA Times Website I just scanned. I don't think that's due to some softness on terrorism. They are puzzled that the crime did not fit the usual terrorist pattern (why weren't all those bombs used, for instance) so are continuing their investigation.
    There are roughly 1.6 billion Muslims on earth and 3 million in the US. If they were all inherently bent on violence, things would be much, much, much worse than they are.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's part of the story.

If the implication is that they were "asking for it," you're right. But that's not necessarily the implication. It's part of the narrative here (not the "narrative," but the narrative) that we're trying to piece together. Dismissing it is like the people who didn't think it was relevant that Patrick Kane's alleged victim was hitting on him all night.

Not primarily.

Correct. Is someone denying that? What I see is a battle to just widen the lens. Some want to include things like Dylann Roof or the Colorado Planned Parenthood shooter in the box of "violent extremism." Others think the focus should be on Islamic terrorism, period.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Why do you seem to think there can be only one "takeaway"? Sorry, but the fact that the ARs used to massacre those people were legally and easily purchased in the US very much makes our gun laws fair game in this discussion. Doesn't mean we can't also address motive.

11. Key

Key Well-Known Member

But depending upon the tragedy, we're only allowed to talk about these one at a time.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's basically it. They are both huge, mostly separate issues in our country that happened to overlap in this instance.

We can certainly "have a discussion" about both things at once.

Songbird, Stoney and BDC99 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted