1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I feel so awful for the victims after situations like this. I do. It's horrifying. It's hard to even get my head around how horrifying it is. I just can't fathom having to go out like that. Although, in this country, I realize that I may have to.

BDC99 likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Victim may have discussed religion with killer.

CNN reporter seems curious to whether this may have triggered murder:

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's the price they pay for our FREEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOM!

4. YankeeFan

It's the wife's fault:

U.S. officials tell CBS News that 28-year-old Farook started searching for a wife using an online dating website. He met Tashfeen Malik and they became engaged in 2013 after he traveled to Saudi Arabia during the annual pilgrimage know as the Hajj. Farook returned to Saudi Arabia in July 2014 to bring her to the U.S. She passed a Homeland Security counterterrorism screening as part of the vetting process, and officials tell CBS News Farook was not on any U.S. terror watch lists.

Christian Nwadike was shocked when he learned the man accused of gunning down over a dozen people turned out to be the coworker he sat only feet from for nearly four years. He said Farook was different after he returned from Saudi Arabia.

"Do you believe that he was radicalized?" Begnaud asked him.

"Yes, by the wife, I think he married a terrorist," Nwadike said.

"He married a terrorist?"

"Yes, he was set up through that marriage," Nwadike responded.

San Bernardino suspect's sister breaks her silence

Songbird likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

I know that you're being sarcastic, but that is truly the bottom line.

6. YankeeFan

How dumb to people think we are?

The whole idea that "radicalization" is some thing that just "happens" to people is absurd.

We're talking about adults, of sound mind. We're talking about people supposedly raised in a beautiful religion of peace and then -- bam! -- they're radicalized.

It's a conscious decision. By mostly educated people (at least in the case of US based terrorists).

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That seems like a possibilty with the information we know so far. That's why I stick with Russian mail-order brides.

8. YankeeFan

People -- from our President on down -- keep saying things along the lines of, "this just doesn't happen in other countries." And, they are talking, of course, about mass shootings.

But, you know what does happen in other countries, with great frequency -- like every single day? Killing in the name of Islam.

People want to compare the Ebola scare to Muslim terror.

Well, you know what, it turns out all we needed to do for Ebola to go away in America was basically to do nothing. As long as we took basic precautions, it wasn't going to spread.

Doing nothing in the face of Muslim terror will not work. There are people actively trying to spread it. If we do nothing, it will spread. And, it may take centuries. They don't care. They've been at this since the founding of the religion. They understand that it's a centuries long fight, and they aren't giving up.

SnarkShark and Songbird like this.
  9. Dick Whitman

I don't understand your objection here. It seems pretty semantic. Of course people choose to radicalize.

But why?

That question is fair, and if you're answer is, "Because they choose to radicalize," then you're as bad as the people who say that blacks can't get ahead in America because of their "values."

10. Dick Whitman

Who's doing nothing? We're on the brink of War No. 3.

SnarkShark likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

They can be a little materialistic, but otherwise I'm with you.

(Though BTExpress does seem to have been politically "radicalized".)

Ace likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

It's like you think that Obama just needs to start saying meaner things about this threat, and it might go away.

Draft saved Draft deleted