1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Regardless of what the President wants, what he's done or can do is all that matters.
    The only gun legislation he's signed into law expands gun rights, giving people the right to carry on Amtrak trains and in national parks.
    But I guess that's only a temporary thing until he signs an executive order taking away everyone's guns right?
    Somehow the fact that he hasn't done it yet is just more proof that he will do it.
    I'm not sure how that actually makes sense to people. Perhaps you can explain it.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oof.

Back-to-back doozies.

Yes, a lack of access to guns might prevent a mentally ill person from shooting up a movie theater.

Which has nothing to do with what a Muslim terrorist is capable, even when lacking guns. If said terrorist has time, expertise, and financing, he can kill hundreds or even thousands without guns.

Not sure how to respond to Smallbrains circular argument. Obama pretty clearly does not believe in private ownership of guns. If you don't believe that, I'm not sure what to tell you.

old_tony likes this.
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'll make you a deal, YF. You make a pile of the guns that the government took away from people, excluding those used to commit crime, legitimately and routinely confiscated by the police. I'll make a pile of the guns sold using the "Obama's going to take all your guns!" marketing. Betcha $100 that my pile is bigger.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

He's not like us in his heart.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

No it's not. Going with the statistics making the rounds, there have been 462 people killed in 355 mass shootings this year. Reducing mass shootings by 5% would, if those other ratios hold, reduce the death toll by ... 23.

6. YankeeFan

Who's said anything different?

Look, if you want to engage me, fine. But argue against something I've said.

Many liberals -- including our President -- don't believe in the personal ownership of guns. They would like to take them away. In some cases, they don't believe the Second Amendment even protects this as a right (though most acknowledge current Supreme Court rulings differ with them).

7. YankeeFan

Huh. Did I say that?

I'm pretty vocal, and clear, in my beliefs. Don't put words in my mouth.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I don't see any other way it's more relevant than what he's done as president.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You literally by definition cannot have just 462 people killed in 355 mass shootings.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No one is saying they are all bent on violence; but it's clear that a vast majority of terrorism today is being caused by true-believers of the Koran. Maybe the IRA can start blowing up some more Brits to even things out; maybe the extremist tree-hugger types can torch some more car lots...but the fact remains, an Islamic extremist is at the heart of most terrorist attacks in 2015.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Ok. Is it your position that 23 more people being alive is somehow a bad thing? What if one of them was your daughter?

BDC99 likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Sure you can...not all mass shootings solely involve deaths.

Draft saved Draft deleted