1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

OK. So what?

You think one's "more" relevant. Is a larger discussion of his beliefs then off the table in your mind?

President Obama isn't stupid. Politicians don't waste political capital on losing fights. Trying to take away guns would be a losing fight. A disastrous and overwhelmingly losing fight, especially given current Supreme Court rulings.

What he has done, and what he would like to do are very different things. And, you could say this about any number of politicians, on any number of subjects. I'm not sure why this is a source of contention for some of you.

2. YankeeFan

Oh boy. The personalization of, "if it would save just one life."

3. YankeeFan

4. YankeeFan

This is pretty incredible when paired with his comments that ISIS was contained the day before the Paris attacks:

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Radicalization preys on weak-minded people. They're not "adults" in the traditional sense, no matter how well they might be educated.

I look at it like, say, the Branch Davidians. Those people were duped because they were weak-minded, and Koresh knew it and used them to build his following. I can't imagine it's much different with radical Islam.

Songbird likes this.
  6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Touche. But then in this case we're using the words "mass shooting" in an intentionally misleading way.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not my position at all. I'm simply pointing out how relatively few are deaths in mass shootings.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I just used the numbers being trotted out there by the Washington Post and NPR.

9. RickStain

Then the Washington Post and NPR are using an intentionally misleading definition of "mass shooting."

Stoney likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The dresses he made those women wear ... really unsexy.

11. RickStain

Unless it turns out that ISIS somehow provided them materials or meaningful support, calling this an ISIS attack is pretty disingenuous. It's ISIS-inspired, I guess.

Stoney likes this.
  12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

"Relative" to what? Still sounds like a lot of deaths to me.

And, so what? Those permanently maimed or wounded are victims too, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted