1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I am shocked, shocked to find that that sort of thing is going on!

RickStain likes this.
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That part is definitely true. Mass shootings are a relatively small problem. In terms of "preventable things that kill Americans," it's not really on the radar because of the actual risk, just the scariness of it.

3. doctorquant

Hundreds, maybe thousands, of people die every year while waiting on drugs to be approved by the FDA.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

How thin is that razor blade upon which we walk?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm going skating later, so pretty damn thin.

old_tony and Songbird like this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's pretty fucking scary. Given the choice between dying because I'm waiting for drugs - the example someone gave - and getting fucking mowed down out of the clear blue sky in an enclosed space by a rampage shooter, I'm picking the drug wait, 1,000 times out of 1,000.

I understand the argument that it's an irrational fear, statistically speaking. But I do credit to a degree the intensity of the horror.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Koresh and the Branch Davidians were a largely unknown quantity. You could join them thinking they were one thing, when they turned out to be another. And, you couldn't predict the end game.

Radical Islam has existed for 1400 years. It's been in the news a lot lately. If you sign up, you know what you;re getting into, and you know that you may be expected to strap on a suicide vest, or shoot up innocent people.

Muslims aren't duped into becoming radicalized. They choose it. They seek it.

8. doctorquant

Especially if the shooter's of a different race ... [/shuddering]

Riptide and RickStain like this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's the American dream to build a personal armory and shoot up everyone they're mad it. These two were living the dream.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There's a guy on my floor at work, same year as me, that's a Muslim. He never talks about it, but he is. He's not different than you or I. He's very engaged in politics, and quite far (but mainstream) left. His wife is basically a hot Middle Eastern woman. No headdress or anything like that. I don't know how engaged he is in his religion - maybe there are lapsed Muslims like there are lapsed Catholics. I know I've seen him angrily lash out at ISIS and other terrorists on Facebook a couple of times. He's a huge gun control advocate, and a huge gay marriage supporter. Name the wedge issue, and he's staked out the standard lefty position on it.

Anyway, it causes me some cognitive dissonance. This guy is really the only Muslim I know, and he's basically a browner version of your high school class president.

I think that's why some of us see the religion painted with a broad brush and defend it. Because we know guys like this, and it doesn't add up.

11. YankeeFan

12. YankeeFan

CNN's Erin Burnett wisely asks us to consider one potential trigger many of us had not thought of:

Jim, I mean, obviously, her involvement is a game changer in how enforcement, law enforcement will look at this. But I just have to ask you, could there be something else, anything else, that could have explained her involvement? Something like a postpartum psychosis?

CNN Insanity: Erin Burnett Wonders If 'Postpartum Psychosis' Led to Slaughter

Draft saved Draft deleted