1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's a bigger issue and one that won't go away, and also one that gets increasingly frustrating as we see Republican cowards take NRA money and do their masters' bidding. After Sandy Hook, everyone thought for sure 21 dead children had to prompt some conscience in the GOP. Sadly it didn't, and the issue has only gotten worse. Hence, the increased coverage.

I know you think you're some kind of moralist here by declaring that discussion of these tragedies should be politics-free, but guns are an enormous problem. A bigger problem in America than Islamic terrorism is.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

1) Total coincidence the NYT is doing this after a terrorist attack.

2) Points for the NRA talking point.

3) I am emboldened in my argument by the quality of the posters who disagree with it.

old_tony likes this.
  4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Aside from the specific policies you or I might favor in each case, I've come to believe that the instinct not to want to "politicize" issues is usually wrong. How else is anything going to change except through the political process?

5. Mr. Sunshine

In a way, you're right. Political processes need to be discussed. It's the knee-jerk responses to defend your side (be it the gun argument or terrorist argument) that are basically stand-ins for substantive debate. I have no problem with a greater focus on gun control. But this particular focus is transparent in its goal.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The banner headline is about terrorism.

The reason the op-ed runs now is, in part, because this is the mass shooting that has really had legs as a news story. (Due to the terrorism connection.)

7. LongTimeListener

Sunshine's outlook:

Adam Lanza: Eh, whaddya gonna do.

James Holmes: Eh, whaddya gonna do.

Syed Farook: DO SOMETHING!!!

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  8. Mr. Sunshine

#substantivedebate

9. LongTimeListener

Go back and check the threads, under whatever name you want. We must not discuss the issue of gun control after these mass murders.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The position of the NRA is that it is okay for people believed to be terrorists to still be able to buy guns.

How can anyone defend that?

11. Mr. Sunshine

No, you're confused. You must not talk about terrorism after a terror attack -- be it Paris or San Bernardino. I've said countless times on here I have no problem with certain additional gun restrictions. I will now go back and check the threads to see if you ever said anything negative about terrorism. Again, it's not discussing gun control I have an issue with (although no one is really interested in a real discussion), it's WHY gun control has become the focus for some this time. It's a level of phony concern for one issue used as a means of downplaying another issue.

12. Mr. Sunshine

That's a terrible law.

Draft saved Draft deleted