1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, sure. There is no actual plan, so it' hard to gauge. That's why, for the sake of argument, I'm focused only on the issuing of Visas.

But, many in the media are declaring this in UN-CONSTITUTIONAL but then their own article doesn't back up the headline.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There's no damn such thing as "international law."

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

Well, yeah, but he says it doesn't apply to US citizens.

The whole "international law" argument is a loser, and wouldn't be made if it was clearly un-Constitutional. (You don't need a second reason, when you have a clear cut first reason.)

Does it go against "every principle this country allegedly stands for?" Maybe. But, you've got to make that argument too then, you can't just assert it, and expect it to be accepted. What's your argument for this, especially if it's a temporary move to make sure our Visa program is well run?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. Temporary until everyone is convinced that Muslims can be trusted. Should expire in, what, year 3015?

What about American citizens who are Muslims? Think we can trust them to travel out of the country and then come back? They could have become radicalized! Maybe they should just stay out as well.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What's wrong with making the Jews wear a little star on their clothes so we know who's who?

6. YankeeFan

OK, so instead of just reacting to his "plan" and freaking out, we've talked about it for a minute, and it looks like:

1) It's probably not un-Constitutional, if applied only to non-citizens, residing outside of the country.

B) There's no such thing as International Law, thought "experts" are citing it

3) It's just plain mean.

So, while it's not a plan that will be implemented, the only real argument against it isn't that it's un-Constitutional, but that it's mean.

And, so, what we have seen in the less than 24 hours since Trump announced this is a media meltdown, in which they weren't honest with the public, and embarrassed themselves.

And, then they'll wonder why this helped Trump.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Trump now saying he might've been ok with Japanese internment camps. It's enough, folks.

I'm with Lindsey Graham. Time for every candidate to unite, conspire, overpower, and bump him from the race.

8. YankeeFan

LOL. Jews living here are protected by the Constitution.

Liberals hate the "slippery slope" argument except when they make it.

If the Trump plan is un-Constitutional, show that, Don't build a strawman, declare it un-Constitutional, and then try to apply your finding to the Trump "plan".

9. YankeeFan

Right If you put Trump back in time, he "might" have been for FDR's plan.

And, that makes him a horrible person.

FDR was for FDR's plan. He implemented it.

Is FDR a horrible person? Why is he held in such high esteem in today's Dem party?

BTW, this really is the genius of Trump's trolling.

Jeb doesn't get to say his brother "kept America safe". McCain can't get away with saying anything he wants because "he's an American hero". And Dems can't condemn him, without coning to terms with FDR.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You don't get it. If there's one thing we've learned by now, it's that there is nothing any other candidate can do or say that will affect Trump. They can "conspire" from now until election day and it won't make a difference.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I didn't say it's un-Constitutional. I implied it's fascist. If you want me to support that, I would be happy to.

12. YankeeFan

I get that, but the media has universally declared this to be un-Constitutional.

Draft saved Draft deleted