1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, YF, so why is Trump loudly suggesting a plan that will not be implemented? What does that say about him and his supporters?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

BTW, where did the hyphen come from in unconstitutional?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It won't be implemented because it won't even be considered by our current President.

Why is he proposing it? Look a the reaction it got.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, the Constitution grants freedom of religion.

Certain people in the country who are not citizens are still granted those rights. What if the plan extended to sending back Muslims already here on Visas?

I'd say it's up to the Supreme Court to decide.

It's funny. There are also people who claim that it's un-Constitutional to deny assault weapons to U.S. citizens. Can you believe that?

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I don't have time to go back through the last few pages of the pissing match, so please forgive me if this has already been posted. I think it's a useful explanation of the existing case law on exclusion and whether or not an anti-Muslim immigration policy would be constitutional.

One note of my own, though, is that it does not deal with the significant difference between previous exclusions, which were based on ethnicity, and a religious exclusion which may or may not implicate the first amendment's religious protection clauses.

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/im...trump-had-plenary-power-by-michael-kagan.html

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Trump.

7. YankeeFan

I don't know. Is that wrong? I have no idea. I figured if I was going to use a capital C, I had to hyphenate it.

BTW, Constitutional is a difficult word for me to type. I misspell is about 90% of the time.

8. YankeeFan

To people here. It owes nothing to people overseas applying for a Visa.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking my post out of context, Mr. Media Critic.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The Geneva Conventions aren't "international law?"

They may not be binding like domestic laws are, but let's not pretend a set of mutually adopted principles hasn't been adopted by a lot of countries.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It really is very difficult to get one. A friend of mine spent time working in Guatemala and eventually met and married his wife there. It took them six years to get her a Visa so they could move to the U.S., which was tremendously difficult on them after his dad suffered a stroke and became a quadriplegic.

I mean, there was no way to doubt their marriage is legitimate, she's a well-educated multi-lingual teacher who would obviously be able to find gainful employment in the U.S., yet it still took six years for them to issue her a visa.

Funny enough, she now works for the state department helping people navigate the visa process.

Draft saved Draft deleted