1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Nope. No hyphen, no capital.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Here's Laurence Tribe talking to MSNBC:

“I believe Trump’s unprecedented proposal would violate our Constitution,” said Harvard Law Professor Laurence Tribe, “both the First Amendment’s Religion Clauses and the equality dimension of the Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment.”

Tribe, a constitutional law expert, said Trump’s proposal also conflicts with the Constitution’s general prohibition on religious tests outside of the immigration context. “It would also conflict with the spirit of the No Religious Test Clause of Article VI,” Tribe told MSNBC Monday evening.

Beyond the law, Tribe said it was also notable that using religious discrimination for immigration would be “impossible to administer” and “stupidly play into the hands of extreme Islamic terrorists.”

Constitutional scholars: Trump's anti-Muslim immigration proposal is probably illegal

Again, he doesn't explain how the First Amendment’s Religion Clauses and the equality dimension of the Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment or the No Religious Test Clause of Article VI would apply to overseas, non-residents of the US.

His argument that it would be impossible to administer and would stupidly play into the hands of extreme Islamic terrorists is the give away that he doesn't actually believe it's unconstitutional. If it's unconstitutional, then you don't need additional arguments.

It's like a kid missing curfew. The car broke down. And, his watch stopped. And, he couldn't find his friends.

When you have one good excuse, you don't need a second excuse.

Not a single constitutional expert has said why foreigners overseas would enjoy the protections in our Constitution.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

First, we don't know it's a temporary move.

Second, I used the word "allegedly" for a reason. We're not the "land of opportunity," with "liberty and justice for all." This, and the amount of support it has, proves that a large percentage of this country doesn't want us to be that anyway. Time to put those ideals to bed.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What about a MasterCard?

Just to be an annoying editor, visa in this context isn't capitalized, either.

old_tony, doctorquant and YankeeFan like this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think trolling and bigotry are the principles this country stands for now. They sure seem to be the raison d'etre for a handful of folks here.

6. YankeeFan

They're a series of Treaties, and I don't think they say anything about who we have to let into our country.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Source?

8. YankeeFan

I've heard similar from friends/acquaintances.

Which only makes me wonder why this guy was able to get one for his burqa wearing wife, who he had met (maybe) one, within three or four months.

Maybe we should look at how these Visas are handed out.

9. YankeeFan

Well, that's how he described it.

If we're going to try and determine if it's constitutional, I'd imagine we'd judge the plan as presented.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I was just using them as an example. European Union Law is another example. Free-trade agreements are another.

"International law" most certainly exists in one form or another.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Lemonade for everyone!

Draft saved Draft deleted