1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

She didn't "radicalize" him. He was a radical before he travelled to Saudi.

Investigators say they have learned through interviews with people who knew Mr. Farook for several years that he had militant views before he met Ms. Malik online and married her in Saudi Arabia.

“At first it seemed very black and white to us that he changed radically when he met her,” said one of the officials who declined to be identified because of the continuing investigation. “But it’s become clear that he was that way before he met her.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/08/us/fbi-says-san-bernardino-assailants-were-radicalized.html?_r=0

Does it piss anyone else off that "people who knew Mr. Farook" knew he had "militant views" and said nothing until after he shot up his co-workers?

I thought moderate Muslim-Americans were our best ally in the fight against Islamic radicals. So, how come no one said anything?

old_tony likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

California.

poindexter likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

Two brothers. One a religious Muslim. One not so religious.

And, it was the more religious one who "became radicalized" and who became more radical as he became more religious.

If it's not about Islam, and it's only a "perversion of Islam" that leads to radicalization, why is always that they become more radical as they pursue their religion more seriously?

It's not like he joined some radical group. He went to a moderate mosque. But, as he memorized the Koran, he became more radical.

One brother liked to party and chase girls. After high school, moved by what he saw as his patriotic duty, he enlisted in the Navy and received two medals recognizing his contributions to "the global war on terror."

The other was deeply religious and became increasingly intolerant, ultimately nursing a growing hatred that led him, along with his wife, to open fire on a San Bernardino holiday party last week, in what law enforcement officials have termed a terrorist attack.
    Rizwan was quieter and more serious - and far more religious.
    Back home, Rizwan, a bright boy, finished high school a year early according to school records. In the years that followed, friends and neighbors say, he quit wearing jeans and polo shirts and donned robes.

"I noticed a change with the clothes and the beard," said Ahmed.

The brothers Farook: one a decorated veteran, the other a killer

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We've heard the 'disgruntled coworker' theory. We've heard the postpartum depression theory. We've heard the radical Muslim theory.

I'm here to tell you about the San Bernardino theory. San Berdoo is the most gawdawful plot of square mileage in southern California.

Dry, barren of greenery, full of concrete, rocks and graffiti. Its one large shithole who could drive anyone to rage.

Any southern california parent who has had to visit the soccer or baseball complex knows the pain.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Of kindred spirit with Riverside, right?

Riverside, where "Breaking Bad" was supposed to be set until Albuquerque came through with a tax break.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No more than you hear the same things about a lot of the mass shooters. I remember when a guy killed a Pennsylvania state trooper, nobody who knew him was surprised. Sad to say but among various groups of people, talking about wishing for a particular person's or peoples' demise isn't considered that much of a social faux pas.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

In my area, basements don't count toward square footage. I don't have a basement, but I technically have more space than my neighbor who lives in the same exact house, sans den addition but with a finished basement.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hardly.
    Riverside is Santa Barbara compared to San Berdoo.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Haven't we been worried about that for the last 15 years or so?

Yeah, it'll probably happen. So what do you want to do, have mandatory searches of everyone's house and bag, on every day?

10. Baron Scicluna

I know you're being sarcastic, but yeah, that more or less sums it up.

11. YankeeFan

So, in the five days since the California massacre, we've seen:

- The president double down on his plan to defeat ISIS, while also talking about gun control and Islamaphobia

- The Daily News criticize "thoughts and prayers" and call the head of the NRA a terrorist

- Linda Stazi blame the victim

- The Philly Daily News compare Trump to Hitler

- The New York Times editorialize that we need to take away guns from current gun owners

- Bernie Sanders refuse to talk about ISIS

- The WH Press Secretary reference Trump's hair

- Many in the media make dishonest arguments about the unconstitutionality of of Trump's plan, and make vague references to international law, and treaties

But, Trump is apparently the only one who should be embarrassed? For suggesting a temporary ban on Muslims entering the country?

And, people don't even take it as something that could/should be discussed, or moderated. It's simply something to be shouted down. Who's the demagogue?

12. Baron Scicluna

I know you're being sarcastic, but yeah, that more or less sums it up.
    I can't wait until we throw George Washington overboard, since, after all, he did own slaves.

Draft saved Draft deleted