1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I love this kind of stuff.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, neither one of them was a victim of "radicalization" at the hands of the other:

The F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, said Wednesday that the couple who waged a shooting rampage in San Bernardino, Calif., last week had been talking of an attack as far back as two years ago, before the United States gave the woman approval to enter the country.

The couple were “talking to each other about jihad and martyrdom before they became engaged and married and were living in the U.S.,” Mr. Comey said.

Mr. Comey said that the “investigation to date shows that they were radicalized before they started courting or dating each other online.”

The couple, Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik, met online before she moved to the United States in 2014.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/10/us/san-bernardino-massacre-fbi.html

Their common views are likely what attracted one to the other.

And, I still think it's funny how the media ran with the whole idea that she was the one who must have victimized him, based on zero evidence. It was like they were hoping that this kid, raised in America, had chosen Jihad for himself.

4. YankeeFan

Is there anyone dumber than Mitch McConnell?

The Kentucky Republican noted that if enacted, it would bar allies such as Jordan's King Abdullah II from visiting the United States.

It would also prevent Afghan President Ashraf Ghani from meeting with the president or congressional leaders in Washington, he added.

McConnell: Trump's proposal on Muslims 'inconsistent with American values'

Yeah, as if you couldn't/wouldn't have an exception for folks with a diplomatic passport.

If this is your main objection, I think we can work it out.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think this was his major objection:

McConnell called the proposed ban "completely and totally inconsistent with American values."

YF, there's no way we can guarantee all of the cowardly conservatives a safe place. Just lock all of your doors and stay home.

dixiehack, SnarkShark and Riptide like this.
  6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

WTH does Larry David keep showing up on late night TV?

7. YankeeFan

A lot of folks on the right pointing out today that in response to the Iranian hostage crisis, Jimmy Carter banned all visas for Iranians:

Fourth, the Secretary of Treasury [State] and the Attorney General will invalidate all visas issued to Iranian citizens for future entry into the United States, effective today. We will not reissue visas, nor will we issue new visas, except for compelling and proven humanitarian reasons or where the national interest of our own country requires. This directive will be interpreted very strictly.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=33233

He also ordered 50,000 Iranian students in US to report to immigration office with view to deporting those in violation of their visas:

https://www.piie.com/publications/papers/sanctions-iran-79-1.pdf

How different would the response have been if Trump had said no visas for Saudis or Pakistanis? Would it still have been painted as racist? or is it simply because he specified Muslims, instead of people from a specific place/region?

Songbird likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

I know he did. But, what's the point of the further, ridiculous criticism then?

Making false arguments against something is not a good strategy.

It doesn't help to call something unconstitutional when it's not.

It makes people distrust all of your arguments. There's a reason trust in the media is at a low point. It's because they do dishonest things.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

While he walked it back, Trump called for a ban of all Muslims, includings Americans, who also happen to be Muslim.

That isn't the same thing as tightening up Visa policy or banning travel with an unfriendly country.

But I've really lost track of what you are talking about, outside of the normal, all media, unless I agree with what they said, is bad.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

It's not brave to put other people in harm's way for the sake of political correctness. It's ignorant and dangerous.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes. That's absolutely why.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Go hide in your closet.

Draft saved Draft deleted