1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's "hell of a piss," not "great piss." Otherwise, this was an inspired post.

2. old_tony

3. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Just for giggles, I'd like to see some research comparing Christians and Muslims in Africa. SnarkSnark has his grant application ready to go.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Thank you. I let it slide, but you are correct, sir.

5. old_tony

Purposeful ignorance is the first and most important trait to being a liberal.

6. old_tony

I was just about to say how I weep for the journalism profession to have so many of those practicing it be so willfully ignorant -- and proud of their ignorance -- as YF just runs circles around them and exposes their hypocrisy.

7. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

The journalism industry was so awful for OT that he spend most of his adult life sniffing jocks for a living, at least until he got canned.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I couldn't let it slide, so I went back and fixed it. Judge Reinhold deserves nothing less.

Inky_Wretch and BDC99 like this.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He's only running circles around people based on post count.

He should switch to decaf.

BDC99 likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's sort of like with the pundits who immediately declared Trump's "plan" to be unconstitutional. They can say it, but the facts don't back up the headlines.

ISIS and other "radicals" can point to specific verses in the Koran to justify their teachings. They can look to the words and deeds of the Prophet.

Yes. Muslims have tried to change the meaning of Jihad.

These are Muslims who would like for Islam to reform. For it to me more modern and more moderate. And, that's a good thing.

But, as the preacher from Farook's Mosque pointed out, Islam doesn't work that way. It doesn't and cannot change with the times:

And, we have to understand that when it comes to Islam, we do not adjust what Islam is due to what people may want Islam to be, or due to the way people have changed.

See, as Christians, we can look to the words of Christ:

But I say this to you who are listening: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,

bless those who curse you, pray for those who treat you badly.

To anyone who slaps you on one cheek, present the other cheek as well; to anyone who takes your cloak from you, do not refuse your tunic.

Give to everyone who asks you, and do not ask for your property back from someone who takes it.

Treat others as you would like people to treat you.

Can the moderate Muslims point to any such words from Mohammed to justify their beliefs?

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think we're kidding ourselves if we think all of these Saudi funded Mosques are moderate.

Here's an article about the largest Mosque in the Chicago area. It's leader is still there. He went on trial after this article was published for racketeering, and his trial ended in a mistrial.

But, there's no doubt he's a radical. His Mosque is radical.

And, he's an immigrant, who first came here 30 years ago to teach Arabic:

Among the leaders at the Bridgeview mosque are men who have condemned Western culture, praised Palestinian suicide bombers and encouraged members to view society in stark terms: Muslims against the world. Federal authorities for years have investigated some mosque officials for possible links to terrorism financing, but no criminal charges have been filed.

Mosque leaders deny encouraging militancy and have denounced terrorism, including the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. They shun the fundamentalist label, saying they follow the true form of Islam and others do not. They point out that an elected board sets mosque policy; if the worshipers wanted a more liberal mosque, they would vote for one.

"It's an election, a democratic process," mosque President Oussama Jammal said.

The mosque now attracts thousands of worshipers--most of them Palestinian-Americans--by offering pro-Palestinian sermons, a spiritual refuge and a strict version of Islam. The ultraconservative Saudi Arabian government partially pays the salary of prayer leader Sheik Jamal.

Moderate Muslims still pray at the mosque, but some say conservatives have created an environment that is overly political, too rigid in its interpretation of Islam and resistant to open debate. These members also worry that the Muslim Brotherhood, a controversial group with a violent past, has an undue influence over the mosque. Despite these concerns, the critics largely remain silent, fearful of being called "unIslamic" by mosque leaders.

Hard-liners won battle for Bridgeview mosque

This is just one Mosque.

Do people think this Mosque is unique?

Do you think Farook's Mosque is moderate? Is the Minnesota Mosque, where the Somali guys sat around watching propaganda videos moderate?

12. old_tony

Draft saved Draft deleted