1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And white supremacists can look to the words in the Bible to justify their looney beliefs.

Yes, and those Muslims who have tried to change the meaning of jihad are the terrorists - not the rank and file - and you.

Jihad: A Misunderstood Concept from Islam

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

How many definitions are there for caliphate?

3. Inky_Wretch

Do you think your posts about Muslims reflect a belief in those verses? Don't preach it if you aren't going to practice it.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They can't point to the words or teachings of Jesus, can they?

Why is this question ignored?

The Koran is the literal, unchanged word of God. Look to it. Look to Mohammed.

OK Inky. If it's so misunderstood, then why do so many religious Muslims misunderstand it?

Sure, I'm no expert on Islam, but repeatedly, as Muslims become more religious, they become radical. Why is that? What are they finding that these moderate Muslims don't see there?

5. Mr. Sunshine

How many deaths is that "teeny tiny" percentage responsible for in the past 20-plus years? I'm starting to think these ridiculous comparisons are something other than ignorance.

Also, and I may have missed it, but did I ever get an answer as to how liberals square their so-called tolerance with knee-jerk support of a group that is heavily anti-gay, anti-women and anti-Jew?

6. YankeeFan

I'm not preaching.

And, I fully admit I fall far short of the teachings of Jesus.

And, were I to do a better job of following his teachings, I don't think it would lead me to shooting up my co-workers or neighbors.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It wasn't ignored. The religion is more than the teachings of Jesus. It's both Testaments.

8. YankeeFan

A winning position in a Democrate Senate primary in California:

California Democratic Rep. Loretta Sanchez said on Wednesday that “between 5 and 20%” of Muslims “have a desire for a caliphate and to institute that in any way possible,” including the use of terrorism.

“But certainly, we know that there is a small group, and we don’t know how big that is — it can be anywhere between 5 and 20%, from the people that I speak to — that Islam is their religion and who have a desire for a caliphate and to institute that in anyway possible, and in particular go after what they consider Western norms — our way of life,” Sanchez said on “PoliticKING with Larry King.”

Sanchez, who is running for Barbara Boxer’s open Senate seat, added that this group of Muslims was “willing to use and they do use terrorism.”

“They are not content enough to have their way of looking at the world, they want to put their way on everybody in the world,” she said. “And again, I don’t know how big that is, and depending on who you talk to, but they are certainly — they are willing to go to extremes. They are willing to use and they do use terrorism.”

Sanchez added that they were using terrorism “in the name a very wrong way of looking at Islam.”

Democratic Congresswoman: "Between 5 And 20%" Of Muslims Willing To Use Terrorism To Institute Caliphate

Even when she "walked it back" she didn't walk back very far:

UPDATE

In a statement, Sanchez said, “I strongly support the Muslim community in America and believe that the overwhelming majority of Muslims do not support terrorism or ISIS. We must enlist the voices of the Muslim community in our fight against ISIS instead of alienating them through fear-mongering and discrimination.”

9. Inky_Wretch

Then take the first step and treat Muslims as you want them to treat you. Do it right here on this board. Live the Golden Rule for all to see.

10. Mr. Sunshine

We're getting into Baron territory here.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

140 pages on this thread. Have you actually made a point on any of them?

12. YankeeFan

Christians are not bound by the teachings of the Old Testament.

Jesus became man to form a New Covenant between God and Man.

And, the Bible, thought the inspired Word of God, is not a dictation, as the Koran is.

If a Christian is ever confused, he needs only to look to the life and teachings of Jesus. What St. Paul, or someone else might say is not the word of God.

The Bible has also been translated from its original language(s), which by definition means that we have to look at what the meaning of the words are.

In contrast, the Koran is in Arabic. Translations might be nice for some purposes, but no English version of a Koran is truly the Koran. It can only be in Arabic.

Draft saved Draft deleted