1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

10465474_489779657833761_9072683002942795744_o.jpg

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I always thought the mythology stuff was cheesy, until I read Ovid. Give his myth stories a try. Really enjoyable stuff.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Nah. It's just an small, but illustrative point, deserving of mockery.

4. YankeeFan

About 15 years ago I read all the classics I was supposed to read in high school: Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Steinbeck, etc.

It was one of those things where I was like, "huh, I probably should have read these when i was told to back in school."

One of my older brothers loves Greek mythology. Maybe I'll try to check it out.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kind of like using "Pyrrhic Victory" in a gamer.

Mr. Sunshine and YankeeFan like this.
  6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Had a Roman studies class back in the day. What a fucked-up society (liberals would have loved it :)). But the literature in that class -- unlike 99 percent of the reading assignments throughout my schooling -- was fascinating. Even shit about the interior decorating style of Pompeii kept my interest.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

8. YankeeFan

David Kirkpatrick, of the New York Times, who recently co-authored this piece was interviewed the other day on Hugh Hewitt:

The whole interview -- and the article -- is interesting, and there's a transcript of the interview at Hewitt's site, but I wanted to focus on this part for a moment:

I talked to two people who had been, had spent a month in an Islamic State prison in Sirte. They were truck drivers who were picked up at a checkpoint and held for a prisoner exchange. And they were floored. You know, they, too, thought well, who knows who these locals are, and they came out thinking oh, my gosh, this really is the Islamic State. They were forced to sit in front of a flat-screen television and watch sermons by Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the Islamic State caliph. And the guards would even pause the sermons to try to underscore the importance of certain points. And then they would make them sit in front of videos of different Islamic State attacks and violence from around the world, not just in Libya, but also in Syria, in Iraq, in Egypt and elsewhere, which the guards referred to as the new releases. Now I know I’m going on at some length here, but I’ve got to say, I was really shocked and alarmed.

New York Times Foreign Correspondent David Kirkpatrick On New ISIS Problems In Libya « The Hugh Hewitt Show

So, the propaganda that ISIS shows people to educate and "radicalize" them is not comments from Donald Trump. They don't show them anything that has to do with America.

What they show them are sermons from al-Baghdadi, and videos of the violence that ISIS has committed.

It's not about us. What we do isn't what sends people into the arms of the Caliphate. it's not even what ISIS tries to use.

The strict practice of Islam -- in all it glory -- is the attraction.

Songbird likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Anonymous is changing the tint on ISIS's picture.

Baron Scicluna and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You'd have to ask Tony, he's the one with the credible links.

SnarkShark likes this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted