1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Maybe that's because 90 percent of all social media posts are complete bullshit.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is so disingenuous.

No one has ever said that every, or even most, Muslims are radical.

You've consistently downplayed the percentage of Muslims who support, if not participate it, acts of terror, calling it a teeny, tiny percentage.

You've acted as if the threat from this extreme group of Muslims, is no different than the threat from radical Christians, and as such, we shouldn't "judge" Islam.

You've refused to tell us how you define a radical Muslim vs. a moderate Muslim, or tell us how you or we can differentiate between the two.

Tell me what's the difference between a "very religious" Muslim and an extreme Muslim. Is there a difference? Isn't what could be called simply a strict "interpretation" of Islam quite radical?

And, if you think the threat from Muslims is so infinitesimal, then tell me, would we expect to see no demonstrable uptick in Islamic terror were out percentage of Muslims to rise from its current level of about 1%, to the nearly 10% that France has?

And, do you think that we would remain "far better" than France at integrating Muslims into our society if the Muslim population grew to that percentage?

Do you have any expectation that Muslim can, will, or even want to "solve the cancer" in their faith? This isn't a new problem. Muslims killing non-believers goes back to the founding of the religion.

Muslims have been killing each other since the Sunni-Shia split, which occurred when Mohammed died in 632.

Is there any evidence that even a majority of Muslims will ever accept the State of Israel right to exist, or that the rampant anti-Semitism within Islam will ever subside?

Radical Islam is willing to kill to impose their will. What moderate Muslims will fight for their religion? The House of Saud made a deal with the radicals in exchange for peace. And, as a result, have been exporting radical Islam around the globe, including to our shores.

Turkey is becoming more radical, won't seal its border with Syria, doesn't want to fight ISIS, and fears Kurdish independence so much, they would rather fight them, than help them.

Military aged Muslim med have fled Syria rather than stay and fight for their nation, or version of Islam.

Our bullets and bombs might not win a theological battle, but doing nothing will only let it grow and spread.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We've seen reports of companies requesting not just access to Facebook pages, but passwords:

Job seekers getting asked for Facebook passwords

This chick got a visa, and then a Green Card.

We should at least be asking for links to all social media pages for anyone looking to move here.

And, there's got to be a way for our intelligence community to run some sort of automated check/scan of social media postings by those looking to move here.

And, you certainly can't tell me how thorough the vetting process is if we aren't doing any of this.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

This is not a fair fight.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Wish I'd seen how out of sync the money line and the opening point spread were ... I coulda got DW to go in with me on a parlay and made a fortune!

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Who let Robert Lewis Dear into the country and let him have firearms?

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Companies that do that are full of shit - surrender of privacy shouldn't be a condition for employment. Public-facing stuff? Sure. Fair game.

Id be all in favor of some keyword-searching social media tool, provided they can verify authenticity, which is much harder on social media than elsewhere.

I won't have much faith in that possibility until they can show they can guard against hackers stealing tens of millions of our own people's personal information.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'd be sympathetic with that position -- correction, I'd be more sympathetic with that position -- if we lived in a world in which a company could distance itself from what its employees say (or have said) simply by firing them. But we don't live in that world.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So the wife had been posting radical things on social media as far back as 2010, but the visa folks didn't bother to find them. Pretty sure those divers searching that lake in San Bernardino are looking for the administration's credibility. They will have to look a loooooooong time ... that they won't be finding it.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Not that I disagree they should have looked further into it and possibly found something, but my understanding is she was posting under an alias, so it's not like they could just pop up her profile and see this stuff. Maybe I'm mistake, but everything I've read is that she wasn't praising ISIS under her real name.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted