1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

San Bernardino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 2, 2015.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This sure doesn't help.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/11/dhs-we-have-no-idea-how-many-syrian-refugees-are-in-the-us/

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

We don't?

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I know, right? It happens pretty damn often.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yup. Then they file a suit, find a crazy liberal (but I repeat myself) judge and get their job back with back pay.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As they should. As long as what they're doing is lawful, has nothing to do with the business and is off company time,the company should have zero say in how an employee spends their free time.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Can you cite evidence of this? Didn't think so. These are only a handful ...
    17 People Who Were Fired For Using Facebook

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Shaking my head ...

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But then you write this ...

And you call me disingenuous!?!

How do you plan to solve the problem of radical Islam terrorism? Nuke 'em? Lock up all the Muslims in the USA?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Let's pull a couple of additional nuggets out of the Times article about the very rigorous vetting process that Tashfeen Malik went through:

Investigators are particularly interested in Ms. Malik’s life in Pakistan in the years before she moved to the United States. They believe that was when she was radicalized.

From 2007 to 2012, she lived in a university hostel and then with her mother and sister Fehda at a family home in Multan, Pakistan. While there, Ms. Malik studied to be a pharmacist, and she took extra classes at the local branch of a women-only institute that teaches a strict literalist interpretation of the Quran, although it does not advocate violent jihad.

Now, this goes to my point/question about the difference between a strict literalist interpretation, and "radical" Islam. What's the difference. When interpreted literally, isn't the Koran quite radical.

And, if that's true, then should we give a visa and/or green card to someone who follows this interpretation.

As to the the idea that the school does not advocate violent Jihad, well, according to whom? Is there any reporting to back up this assertion? Where did the authors learn this? Who did they talk to? Why don't they tell us this?

And, why do I get the impression that this is simply what they were told by the school and/or government officials?

On social media, Fehda Malik has made provocative comments of her own. In 2011, on the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, she posted a remark on Facebook beside a photo of a plane crashing into the World Trade Center that could be interpreted as anti-American.

Social media comments, by themselves, however, are not always definitive evidence. In Pakistan — as in the United States — there is no shortage of crass and inflammatory language. And it is often difficult to distinguish Islamist sentiments and those driven by political hostility toward the United States. At the time Fehda Malik’s comment was posted, anti-American sentiment in Pakistan was particularly high; four months earlier, American commandos had secretly entered Pakistan and killed Osama bin Laden.

Let me ask you this, if her posts displayed an anti-American sentiment, should I give a shit if it's based on Islamist sentiments or a political hostility?

If you're anti-American, why are we giving you a visa to come to America, in order to mary an American. If you don't like America, stay where you are.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, do you have any expectation that Muslim can, will, or even want to "solve the cancer" in their faith?

What's the evidence of this, and what progress is being made?

Condemning terror, in the face of what's happening isn't the same thing as engaging the Islamists, and fighting for the hearts and minds of young Muslims.

What's being done to actually combat the radical ideology?

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The "you're being a troll response" is coming soon.

old_tony likes this.
  12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I fully understand your point, but what can be expected? Non-violent Muslims are supposed to turn violent and fight? Or take the risk of going to have a meeting with radical leaders? What more can they do than condemn it?

Draft saved Draft deleted