1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Militia seizes Federal building

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If their definition of "winning" is sitting around a wildlife refuge building eating MREs and pooping in cut-off toilets, then I'm willing to let them "win" for a few weeks until they run out of supplies.

"We have to attack them or we look weak and they grow bolder" doesn't really fly no matter which side of the political spectrum it comes from.

ETA: Dying in a firefight is their wet dream. Let them rot in federal custody for awhile after a public trial.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As long as no shots are fired a) they look like posers and b) they can't become "martyrs." In a way, they are a lot like ISIS in that a confrontation with bullets flying will feed their cause. Check out the InfoWars comments section.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How long are you willing to let them hold that property? A few weeks? What about a few years? And as I asked earlier, how should supporters be dealt with? Should LEOs allow folks with food to reach them so as to avoid gunfire?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Disagree. They are going to hole up in some bird sanctuary in Oregon for the winter without utilities. God bless them. Let them sit there until they realize they are idiots.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Deploy the drones.

6. RickStain

Isolate them so they can't be delivered supplies

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Man, those folks really want their government handouts.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A convoy of militiamen roll up to the perimeter with supplies. Do the rules of engagement allow for shots to be fired if they disobey instructions and keep trying to reach those in the building?

9. RickStain

I'm not up on police tactics enough to know if that is necessary to stop them in that situation. If it is, yes.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think the first thing the cops would do would be shoot any dog they see.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That's the biggest threat to the situation, convoys or others wanting to join up. It's a pretty isolated area with only a couple of ways in. I figure if this thing goes sideways, that will be how it happens.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, it looks like they're in it for the long haul:

Seriously, these guys are idiots. They should be evicted, but not at the risk of the lives of law enforcement.

Are they terrorists? I don't know. Have they done anything to, you know, actually terrorize people?

Is anyone concerned that their local bird sanctuary might be next?

Draft saved Draft deleted