1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Militia seizes Federal building

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pierce gets under cons' skin because he isn't the typical Pearl-clutching, thumb-sucking, blanket-chewing, Kumbayah-singing liberal whose primary concern is never ever ever hurting anybody's feelings.

The only times progressives have accomplished real social change, in the labor movement, in civil rights, in women's rights, in environmentalism, in establishing the social safety net, in stopping the Vietnam war, not only were they not worried about hurting feelings, they made damn sure they did.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it's OK to say that here now. It may get a rise elsewhere on the World Wide Web, though.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Very much a literary peacock, but it's talented preening.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Oh, I imagine your name might come up in an incredulous pm or two around here.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There are some vets involved. Our armed services and vets are worthy of our respect, but that does not mean that every one of them is smart, well-informed, or completely stable. There is an awful lot of nonsense out there if you are credulous enough to believe it.

There are also posers. If you didn't click through to the link above at #194 re Phonies occupy BLM, you can get a look at a couple there.

6. Mr. Sunshine

THEY ARE DANGEROUS TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And there are some non-phonies involved too.

While we worry about stopping another 9/11 or San Bernardino, preventing another OKC shouldn't be ignored.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Oh, agreed. If anything, our former service guys are better trained than 95% of the middle east terrorists. If there is a legit strike by some of those guys it could be devastating.

9. Dick Whitman

I liked him when I was first starting out, when he was writing about Tiger Woods and Magic Johnson and stickball. I devoured his book, "Sports Guy."

But other than the occasional tidbit about Albanian-Nepalese trade routes in the 16th century and how that mirrors Republican budget maneuvering in 2016, I don't feel particularly enlightened when I read a Charles Pierce piece. He writes pretty sentences, I guess, if you're into that kind of thing. But the substance, when there is any, is so spread out that his pieces are a real slog for me. He's not a particularly skilled argument-builder.

My biggest problem with editorials in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal is that each assumes certain premises - you all know what they are - and then argues from these assumed premises. That's what Pierce does, except four times as long, with more flourishes. He's just a pundit. He's a more erudite Chris Matthews. (Best comparison to Piece is probably Rachel Maddow.)

It's not just the Good Doc crew that laps it up, either. Not anymore. I have plenty of liberal friends, even some outside of the business, who Re-Tweet and Share his pieces. It's like if you write a run-of-the-mill #HotTake, but stir in some four-syllable words and analogize to Napoleon's struggle to establish a diplomatic foothold in the Cape Colony, the lack of substance is forgiven.

I like wonkier writers, and writers who argue with more clarity.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

It's cute when mommy's special little guy shows a little backbone. Too bad he immediately sprints to hide behind her dress.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So, Pierce is wrong about a group of armed militants taking over a federal facility and calling for the overthrow of the government being seditious?

12. Dick Whitman

He's not wrong. He's just not particularly insightful, nuanced, or original, despite the thesaurus and the almanacs.

Draft saved Draft deleted