1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Militia seizes Federal building

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They wouldn't be in this "game" at all if they hadn't emboldened the Bundys by letting them get away with criminal conduct in Nevada.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Exactly. I figured we'd learned our lesson from that and would crack down hard and fast this time. But apparently not.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The more I read about this, the more I'm reminded of an old George Carlin riff.

"A man has barricaded himself in his mid-town apartment. He's not armed, isn't holding any hostages, isn't considered dangerous and nobody really cares..."

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I love how liberals are terrified that we've emboldened militia members, but think the Iranians treated our sailors with dignity.

old_tony likes this.
  5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

We learned our lessons in Waco, not Nevada.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't know a single person who is "terrified that we've emboldened militia members" nor do I know of any who "think the Iranians treated our sailors with dignity."

I do think the Obama adminstration's diplomatic efforts, particularly Kerry's, laid the groundwork for getting the sailors and boats back safely and quickly without escalating what could easily have become a crisis.

I don't believe for a split second a GOP administration would have been capable of this level of diplomacy.

bigpern23, Stoney and Riptide like this.
  7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I'm terrified that militia members could get their hands on more snacks.

cranberry likes this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Let's send them Lena Dunham.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Waco is a false comparison. First off, I'd note that taking a harder approach does not necessarily mean we go violently crashing in there Waco style. There are other options. Like, for god sakes, at least cut off their utilities and outside access.

Second, this situation is NOT like Waco. A very different animal for a few reasons, including:

--The Waco compound included innocent children with no choice but to be there. Whereas everybody in this place is an adult who voluntarily chose to take part in this criminal venture, and thus all have invited the consequences.

--In Waco, the feds were essentially the intruder busting into someone else's home that they lawfully owned. Whereas here we just have a pack of armed criminals who have effectively stolen a building that is not theirs. When you do that, you're asking for whatever pain comes your way.

If some armed thugs busted in your house and locked you out, would anyone expect the cops to just sit around for weeks allowing them to receive mailed packages, watch your TV and enjoy living in your home? Of course not, you'd expect them to promptly take strong action directed toward forcing them out and arresting those criminals.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

One of the most liberal guys in the Senate is fed up with how the Obama DoJ is handling the situation.

Heinrich: Prosecute

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If by "diplomacy" you mean "bribe", I agree. Iran wants their cash. That's why they played nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted