1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The final days of McDonald's?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by da man, Oct 16, 2015.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

An egg McMuffin is only 300 calories. I don't think anything on their dinner menu is anywhere near that low of a calorie count, which you would actually want to eat. Not saying that is the final motive, but it would help in keeping it on the menu.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's hard to screw up the "round egg." All kinds of shenanigans can go on with burger meat.

old_tony likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Cheeseburger :: McDonalds.com

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Dick Whitman likes this.
  5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What does Lena Dunham have to say about it?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the athlete, upon rallying his team to victory, who says, "I just decided to take charge, and would not be denied tonight."

The follow-up question that never comes, of course, is "So, in the four previous games --- all losses --- you didn't 'just decide' to take charge and instead allowed yourself and your team to be denied. Why is that?"

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'd have to look it up, but if I recall, there were issues with the grills that made all day breakfast difficult.

I think the franchisees were also against all day breakfast.

But, MacDonald's corporate has been interested in it for some time. Dunkin' Donuts sells a shitload of breakfast sandwiches all day long. McDonald's competition is not just other burger chains, but increasingly includes chains like Starbucks and Dunkin'.

I don't think it was a question about whether these items would sell all day. It was just a question of logistics.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Be that as it may, the idea of an egg "cooked" in some warehouse, packaged and trucked so it can be served to me a week later isn't my idea of appetizing.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I can't understand a word she says since Hillary's dick has been in her mouth

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Mere quibbles. Somehow they still taste better than the scrambled "folded" eggs. I hate those wherever they serve them.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There's also the substitution effect ... An Egg McMuffin sold after 10:30 a.m. might be squeezing out the sale of a Big Mac that would have been sold otherwise. At least so far, by these results, that doesn't seem to be the case on net.

The issue of logistics is not a trivial one. The breakfast setup for the kitchen is different from the lunch/dinner setup. How different apparently varies, but it is different (which is why there are some breakfast items that aren't on the all-day breakfast menu).

Many 'round here are probably too young to remember it, but in my youth the food you got at McDonald's was served out of finished goods inventory. Big Macs, Quarter Pounders, etc., were prepared along a set schedule. Your server took your order and then simply collected it out of the finished goods bin that was behind the counter.

In the 1990s (I believe it was then) competitive pressure led McDonald's to redo kitchen processes so that very little in the way of finished goods inventory was present. Rather, components -- e.g., patties, cheese -- were drawn from component inventory and then assembled to order. That meant you no longer had to wait longer if your wanted your burger without onions or whatever.

To pull all this off required a substantial rework of the hardware in the kitchen (one of the biggies was the bun toaster, which had to be capable of toasting one bun quickly and efficiently). They ran into a huge problem when the company/companies supplying this equipment got swamped with orders from franchisees across the country. McDonalds actually had to put together a steering committee to coordinate which franchisees would get equipment in a given timeframe.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yep. That's how it was when I was a kid.

And, if you wanted one without pickles, or something, you had to wait while they made it fresh. Conversely, if you wanted it fresh, you ordered it without pickles.

Franchisees never want to spend money, so they push back against redesigns, espresso machines, and all day breakfast.

Was talking to a Dunkin' franchisee yesterday. She's opening inside of a gas station, with a drivethru, right next to a McDonalds. She was sort of bitching about how much equipment they have to buy, and how every time she attends a meeting, she has to write a check. She now has to buy a new printer because they're going to be taking internet orders.

But, a Dunkin' franchise is something to behold. Almost everything is automated, and/or pre-made. It can be run with very little labor or owner involved management. And, that printer is going to make her a ton of money.

You can also fit a Dunkin' in an incredibly small space. There's one in a CTA station here that I swear had to be a broom closet before it was converted.

Draft saved Draft deleted