1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Mizzou football players go on strike

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 7, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My first thought when I read this yesterday was he sounds like a big baby looking for a payday, and the line where he noted the settlements of the chancellor's and Pinkel's contracts confirmed those suspicions.

That said, the Missourian put together an annotated letter fleshing out all of the events Wolfe cited. The guy isn't wrong in his contention that he was singled out while the chancellor and curators skated. In fact, one curator (an African-American woman from St. Louis) resigned yesterday without much explanation.

I am bursting with pride for the alma mater.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I have heard that Wolfe was trying to get rid of Bowtie for months, but the Curators wouldn't go along with it until the faculty revolted.

Post-Dispatch's Jeff Gordon on all the kicks to the head -- many self-inflicted -- that Mizzou has had lately:
    Tipsheet: Putting the zoo in Mizzou : Sports

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take it too personally ...

4. LongTimeListener

It's funny. It's not like Penn State or anything, but the few times it has come up in conversation over the last three months, there's definitely a different look on the other person's face.

5. doctorquant

I've never worked in a really top-shelf institution -- once I was informed I was a finalist for a gig at a Big Ten school and I got so wound up I got a dose of the green-apple two-step -- but in my experience, the more attention that someone pays to the pedigree, the less that someone has to offer in actual performance. I have colleagues with PhDs from all over -- Harvard, Chicago, the public Ivies -- and among the really productive set, where you took your degree is of absolutely no consideration.

franticscribe likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Where you went can get your foot in the door, and that's about it. Experience, talent and especially hard work are what matter.

When I was in the business, my Mizzou degree definitely got me an extra look, especially from other Mizzou grads in position to hire me. But it wouldn't have meant shit if I didn't have the skills and clips to back it up.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Flunking out of college means never having to say you're sorry!

8. doctorquant

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Somebody is keeping a running clock for "Days since last embarrassing event at Mizzou." Between the protest fallout, the football disarray and basketball's nuclear winter, it's getting a workout.

missouritigers.com

10. LongTimeListener

There was one today, jury's out on whether it's embarrassing ... but another UM System curator resigned, leaving the system with no African-American curators on the nine-person board.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'd post the graphic he's using, but, well ...

Draft saved Draft deleted