1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

C'mon. Where'd your objectivity go.

Sanders was considered a joke when he announced. A sacrificial lamb, to give Hillary the appearance of a primary battle.

And, he took her to a tie in the first contest. Hillary's been running for President for 8 years. She has universal name recognition. Bernie had none when the campaign started. Hillary had all the endorsements, and of the establishment behind her. And Bernie got more votes than her.

Bernie clobbered her among young voters, including young women. That's crazy.

I Should Coco and TigerVols like this.
  2. YankeeFan

I saw someone post on Facebook that Trump's supporters can't spin this as any kind of victory because he underperformed the late Iowa polling.

Shouldn't that lead to criticism of the polls as much, or more than, Trump?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Do you believe his poll numbers at this point, though? You say that his campaign is built on "free media, not flooding various states with ads, direct mail, and advertising." Bully for him, I guess. But I think last night showed that his attempt to circumvent the need for a traditional ground operation is a liability moving forward.

4. Dick Whitman

I'm not saying it was a great night for her. But it wasn't a disaster, as far as securing the nomination. She's going to waltz to it.

amraeder likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

It's a bad night for him because it casts doubt on his leads in all the other polls, as well. Sure, you can criticize the polls, and you probably should. But the bottom line is that it is very possible that last night might indicate that the polls are all overselling his leads. Which is not a good turn for him, particularly if he loses a little momentum now.

He's coming out of his worst few days of the campaign after a lengthy winning streak. Skipping the debate was a misfire, and then he lost last night to Cruz and allowed Rubio to look viable and rejuvenated. He's got his work cut out for him now. The honeymoon is over.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It would have hurt HRC in the long term to veer left just to cut into Bernie's constituency in Iowa. This election, like most, will be won in the middle. She did the right thing.

7. YankeeFan

Even if we discount his numbers a bit, he's still going to due well. He's still going to be in the top three all the way.

I'd take President Cruz today if you gave him to me, but he'd be painted as an extremist in a national election. I don't see him winning anyone in the middle. And, he's not set up to win states with less evangelical voters. (He got 60% of them last night.)

The same cold water you just poured on Sanders could just as easily be poured on Cruz. Where else is he going to win?

And, I think the polls mostly did accurately judge Trump's support. They just way underestimated Cruz's to the point that it threw off the final percentages.

Trump did set the expectations for himself high. Part of that is because he has no internal polling. None. It's why Roger Stone quit the campaign. Trump wouldn't give him any money for polling, since the networks did it for free. So, he set his expectations based on the public polling.

8. Dick Whitman

They were off on Trump, as well. Some of the recent ones had him at 31 percent. His captured 24.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

10. YankeeFan

She'll still win, but Bernie's going to have the money to stay in. His supporters are fired up.

They'll continue to fund him and show up to vote.

I don't think Killer Mike and Cornel West are going to get Bernie's numbers up with African-Americans, but Bernie is exposing a fault line in the party. Younger voters are for Bernie.

A longer campaign means Hillary has to keep moving left, which isn't good for her. Hillary's national numbers always go down the more the public sees her. This guarantees that she will have to continue fighting.

In a perfect world, she'd wrap this up early, and spend primary campaign money making her look warm and fuzzy, while basically hiding out.

Now, she's going to have to fight for every vote, and spend every dollar to defeat Bernie.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Just what do you think South Carolina's GOP wing is?

12. YankeeFan

Yeah but they had him at 31% because they underestimated the turnout, which reached record levels.

And, it was Cruz's vote that was underestimated. If the pie was smaller, Trump would have gotten 31%.

His vote came out. The polls didn't underestimate his vote total. They underestimated what percentage of the final vote it would equal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.