1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The South Carolina demographic has been changing. The coastal regions are not as religious as other areas.

Trump's going to do well with the blue collar workers at BMW, Mercedes Benz, Nissan and Boeing.

Trump's been showing a big lead in SC:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - South Carolina Republican Presidential Primary

He should get a boost out of NH. And, I think Rubio's boost bites into Cruz more than Trump.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If you're the GOP, you have to basically beg Christie, Bush, and Kasich to bow out, at this point, right?

3. YankeeFan

Bush will stay in, but, aside from the money his super pac is spending to beat up other candidates, will largely be irrelevant. Who cares where his 2% goes.

Christie and Kasich should be done after New Hampshire. Unless one of them comes in the top three, theres no rationale for either campaign to go forward.

Carson is the bigger question. He actually has some support that would be up for grabs if he drops out. Does he go on because it's a money making operation?

4. Dick Whitman

What the hell is Bush hoping to get out of this at this point? Carson wants to be a celebrity. Rand Paul wants to be a movement. What is Bush's end game?

5. YankeeFan

Bush wants to win. And, his super pac still has money.

I don't think he realizes how mad the rest of the party is at him and Mike Murphy for carpet bombing the entire field -- except for Trump.

At some point, he has to realize that he failed at taking out Rubio. I'm not sure how long he'll want to embarrass himself.

I think he would have been a fine President, but he wasn't going to win. The nation, and party didn't want another Bush. And, he had no answer for his brother's war.

Fuck, if Trump hadn't exposed that, and he had won the nomination somehow, it would have killed him in a general election. (And, no one else in the Republican field looked to be interested in mentioning it.)

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

7. YankeeFan

The news is so disingenuous.

They are desperate for relevance, but they're as responsible as anyone for Trump's prominence.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

For the upcoming states until Super Tuesday, I only care about Nevada for either party. New Hampshire is too close to Trump's power base and South Carolina votes Republican. I'll focus on the Republican and Democratic primaries and caucuses in the true swing states and that will reveal the answer.

Will Cruz win Ohio or North Carolina in March or will he just win the "Santorum 11"? Or Pennsylvania in April? Even Michigan, while it won't go Republican in November, offers the dynamic of Cruz-Trump-Rubio among those who do vote Republican.

This is why I argue that Rubio has tons of time for others (Christie, Kasich, perhaps Carson) to drop out and this plays into the long game in an ideal manner. Cruz and Trump have weeks to utter something offensive to women, minorities, those with handicaps, Muslims, old folks, young people, rich dudes, poor people. Lots of landmines for Cruz and Trump.

Clinton will wear down Sanders on Super Tuesday and it'll be over shortly after that. Sanders is Opposite George Wallace -- he won't win any southern states.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Exactly right. His base is trolls, bullies and paste-eaters who think you can build a wall, send Mexico a bill and they'll pay for it. People that gullible aren't going to stick around for the nuance.

The disaster isn't "OMG Bernie could win the nomination." It's that Hillary has once again proven repulsive to so many people who should be her natural allies. Her campaign theme - again! - is "resistance is futile" and that turns people off. And I don't buy the idea that she'll win regardless in November because people will be motivated to vote against the Republican. No group will ever be more inspired to vote "anti" than conservatives in 2012 against Obama. Ask President Romney how that worked out.

Losers make excuses. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen. (Which, in this case, means a bawling prom queen goes running into freeway traffic).

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I think that, for the nomination, last night was good for Hillary but bad for the general election -- if that makes any sense. She'll be the nominee but it's clear there isn't much enthusiasm for her from the base.

11. YankeeFan

Hillary will win the African-American vote in the primaries, but it's not like they're enthusiastic about her.

And, she'll need them to be enthusiastic about her in November.

12. Dick Whitman

As the column pointed out, her closing argument in Iowa was about as uninspiring as you can get: Bernie Sanders is so unrealistic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.