1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Meh. Free shit sounds great. But most of us realize it's not really free.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It can't be Cruz, because the establishment despises Cruz. We've already seen that the establishment will choose Trump over Cruz.

So, as long as Cruz remains viable, it's either a three way race between them and some as yet undetermined establishment candidate or it's a two way race that Trump wins.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Young people don't. They are idealistic and have a vague feeling that the "system" is cheating them. Along comes Bernie Sanders, a person with some credibility due to his position as a United States Senator, telling them that they should be able to go to college for free, but for the system screwing them. Voila.

4. Dick Whitman

This is where RickStain splits with others here, of course. He says that when it comes down to brass tacks, the party picks Cruz over the outsider Trump.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Correct. But it's not enough to be sustainable. I love Bernie and his message, but it will never work.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If Bernie somehow manages to get elected we'll look back to Congress' relationship with Obama as the good old days of bipartisanship.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Won't happen.

I understand politicians usually put aside personal differences in order to win, and fight another day.

Dale Bumbers hated Bill Clinton, but supported him to the point where he made the closing argument in his impeachment trial.

But Bob Dole, Terry Brandstand and others have already openly stated that they're for Trump over Cruz.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"I eagerly await the left's claims of 'victory' in November when Romney wins in a landslide." – Old Tony, 2012.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Cruz is an arrogant, oily prick, and no one knows it better than his fellow Republican senators. If Trump gets elected and things go south the party can say "Yeah, but he was a reality star that gamed the system. He was never a real Republican". Cruz would be a PR disaster because he's likely to be more extreme than Trump and there is no way to deny that he's representative of the right wing of the Republican party.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm liberal and (relatively) young (31), but Sanders' speeches sound like the expected response from a third grader asked how they'd change the world for a writing assignment.

Obama stressed how hard it would be to accomplish his vision for the country. He prefaced all his aspirations with emphasis on the battle to accomplish those things, often predicting he'd fail. I honestly believe he was willing to be a one-term president as long as he got health care done. He just happens to be so naturally gifted at campaigning that he was able to eek out a win in 2012. Now, that sentiment can be grating, too, but it's much more preferable, at least to me, than Sanders' simplistic view about how to make change.

I view Obama as a progressive, in terms of wanting to push the country forward a little quicker than it wants to move. Bernie wants to take it a place where I don't think it would actually ever go.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

He "eek[ed] out" a 332 to 206 advantage in the electoral college.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Sanders is a little more nuanced than that.

The system is cheating most of young America. It's not a vague feeling. It's true.

I Should Coco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.