1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know. I thought the idea was to find out what the people want.

I realize that's pretty naïve on my part.

Carry on.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm glad to help your ignorance.

General election are about the will of the people. Party nominations are about advancing the agendas of the party.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yup. People who want a party nomination play by party rules. People who don't like the rules of a political party, can always run as independents.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Politicians have been putting party before the will and welfare of "the people" for decades, if not longer.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Basically, I can't convince 30 million of my most progressive buddies and say "hey, let's all register as Republicans and force them nominate Elizabeth Warren."

6. cranberry

Nobody is forced to join a political party. But parties represent groups of like-minded people collectively and provide power that individuals can't generate by themselves.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Certainly not me.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Reality is that WHEN THEY VOTE, over 90 percent of those who bother to show up are dependable members of one party or the other no matter what lies they tell pollsters. There's nothing wrong with that. Those voters are responding to facts on the ground. There is in my mind plenty wrong with the legislators who benefit from the two-party system making laws unfairly handicapping new parties, which they all do. Americans have a choice of two political parties and about five NFL pregame shows. Something wrong with that.

I Should Coco likes this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Parties exist solely to attain power and stay in power. We get nothing except the byproduct of that lust for power. It may be good or bad, but it certainly doesn't happen because politicians "care" about the "people."

SFIND and Jake_Taylor like this.
  10. cranberry

Please. It's basic collectivism. You have more power in numbers than you have alone. If you think an organization doesn't work you have two choices: 1) Leave the organization or 2) Get involved and change it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm cynical about politics, because of the compromises that politicians have to do to get elected and stay elected. But I think they are largely driven by the "right" reasons, namely that they have particular policy beliefs that they want to be in a position to implement. And, yes, often these policy beliefs involve helping "the people."

exmediahack likes this.
  12. cranberry

That's about the way I see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.