1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

All Trump's opponents have to quit playing whack-a-mole with his "policy positions" and adopt the Vinny Gambini approach.
    "Everything that guy just said is bullshit. Thank you."

SFIND likes this.
  2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

What is this based on? Looks like fantasy to me.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It takes some yeoman work to turn Alaska and Kansas blue.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, if you can get past some of the bombast, Trump has signaled some actual policy goals, including:

-- high tariffs on imports (which would be a disaster because it would essentially turn into a tax on American consumers)
    -- deporting 11 million illegal immigrants (which would be a disaster)
    -- tightening border security (not such disaster if correctly implemented)
    -- lowering corporate taxes and repatriating offshore dollars (I'm in favor of this)
    -- a populist sounding tax plan (that, according to the Tax Policy Center, would reduce federal revenue by $9.5 trillion over the next decade and provide an average $1.3 million tax cut for the top 0.1 percent of earners.
    -- a more hawkish monetary policy (he's a Paul Volker fan) that would focus more on the "containing inflation" part rather than "full employment" part of the Fed's dual mandate.

5. Starman

All bullshit.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sam Brownback's giving it a hell of a shot in Kansas the last few years.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Want to guess which of those have the best chance of passing and becoming law? I'll give you a hint: they are the ones that would also benefit him the most.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Trump is running to win. He's communicating a simple message, and he's altered the message to appeal to Republican primary voters, focusing on issues like immigration.

You would have to assume that were he running in a Democratic primary, his message would be somewhat different.

He would focus more on something like the influence of big banks.

And, given the competition, I imagine he would be doing well.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You give him more credit than I do. I think he's kind of stumbled into nativism, although I think it'd be interesting to go back and read some of his old stuff, like "The Art of the Deal," and see if there were any early signs that this guy would emerge.

That said, I think he would do OK, too, although, again, he wouldn't benefit from the large field of candidates like he has in the GOP.

There is no way to prove this, but I do think that a large part of his appeal is his celebrity, and not just for name recognition. He's been famous for 30 years. His name is everywhere - most importantly, recently, on network television. His candidacy gives people a fun opportunity to connect with a celebrity by voting for him.

Of course, a lot of Democrats are having a lot of fun laughing at the rubes voting for the celebrity, like they are impervious to it, forgetting that the elected Al Franken, and begged Ashley Judd to run.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Starman

Almost everything I have read about Franken as a senator is that he has been surprisingly sedate and effective.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think he's smart enough to have hammered home the message that has resonated with republican primary voters, even if he did stumble on it.

He puts out so many messages, even conflicting messages, that he would have been just as likely to stumble on a winning message that would have worked in a democratic primary.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't disagree that he's proven to be a serious candidate and senator. But celebrity helped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.