1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So is Trump.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Why is it so bad that we look our faults squarely in the eye and say that we are working through them?
    That is really what this terrible election is.
    You want your Hope and Change? It's going to take a diarrhea streak like Trump coming within a few breaths of the presidency to ordain it. That's the price.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I hope you're right. I hope that people will take a long look at a political and election process that has put Trump this close to the Oval and the nuclear codes.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Don't tell John Roberts that.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't do that. They say 3+5= 8. I say 5+3=8 and they say that's stupid.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is one thing (of many, but this one in particular sticks out) about Trump that scares the hell out of me. The way he bullies dissenters and especially the press.
    What will he do once he's actually in office and reporters start asking him legitimate, tough questions they'd ask of any president? Or write some unfavorable stories the same why they do of any president? Or write columns questioning his policies?
    Trump's response seems to be to cut them off and insult them. Or worse, to turn an angry mob on them. That's the first step toward a dictatorship.
    It's more troubling given the fragile nature of our industry right now. I could see him trying to find some excuse to severely limit or eliminate the press' first amendment rights. Hell, he wouldn't be above simply buying a few major newspapers and shutting them down. He wouldn't even need to do it in such an obvious fashion. Turn some of the federal bureaucracies loose on them like the EPA, the IRS or the EEOC and investigate their business practices and environmental impact. Turn the screws on them and ratchet up the financial pressure even more. Lord knows there's bound to be some skeletons in those closets.
    By the time he's through, there might not be a press left to utilize its constitutional freedom.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Americans have never been able to accept the fact that they have a whole list of things on the report card that need work. Carter tried telling the population that they needed to get their shit together with regards to energy. They didn't like hearing it, so the elected the guy talking about the shining city on a hill.

Jobs keep leaving the country, wages stay the same, costs for education are insane, costs for health care are just as ludicrous, public education blows, the citizens are getting dumber and dumber and we fall behind other countries more and more each year in math and science. We can't take care of our vets when they get back from war yet we always have the cash on hand to go to war...but we're number one, goddamit!

For crissakes, we are a C-plus student telling everyone we're going to Yale.

Double Down, Riptide and Ace like this.
  8. old_tony

You're not saying anything near that. What you're saying is that it is not OK for Republicans to do and say exactly the same thing Democrats did and said in the past. That is not at all comparing 3+5 to 5+3.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Batman, are you Rainman's cousin?

10. old_tony

Sadly, all but 0.00000000000000000001% of the damage done to the press is self-inflicted.

exmediahack likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Except, as I've already pointed out multiple times, they're not doing exactly the same things that the Democrats did in the past. The Republicans are worse because they're crying that Obama is going to make them take a stand on a nominee when they really just want to run and hide until November.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The Washington press corps is still too busy French-kissing the current loser president to wield any power it pretends any longer to have, and do some real digging on Trump.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.