1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I will say this. Imagine it is 1992 and you are told that in 24 years, there is a good possibility that the two major parties' presidential candidates are the wife of one of the current 1992 candidates who is infamous for her headband and complaints about baking cookies, and the other candidate is the guy who owns a bunch of stuff in New York City, fucked up the USFL and was boinking Marla Maples.

We'd be as incredulous as Doc Brown finding out that Ronald Reagan the actor was president 30 years later.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

No matter your political leanings, I think we can all agree on this. There's 330 million people in this country and these are the best four or five we could come up with to lead us?
    Where's Millard Fillmore when you need him?
    If the presidential campaign process were a Royal Rumble, the Cruz-Trump-Sanders-Clinton combination would be like having a final four of R-Truth, Barry Horowitz, Bob Backlund and Iron Mike Sharpe.

Big Circus and HanSenSE like this.
  3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I firmly believe there is a sizable segment of the political class that won't get into it because of the dirt and the hit jobs on personal lives that inevitably will come up in a campaign. Even as statehouse levels.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Clinton is a perfectly reasonable candidate. She's traditional and establishment and s poor campaigner, but she's smart with a deep resume. She shouldn't be in the same sentence as Donald Trump the carnival barker, who talks like I did in class in high school when I absolutely didn't know an answer.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Clinton is Trump with breasts. She's slimy on a hundred different levels, just as egotistical, and if it's possible she's even more corrupt. The next answer she gives that isn't carefully prepared and run through an advisory committee will be the first -- of course, that's assuming she lets anyone ask her a question that wasn't submitted and vetted in advance.

SpeedTchr and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If you really want to play Back to the Future, take a look at Franklin Pierce's transition period to the White House. He and his family were in a train accident, his young son was killed, and his wife felt like it was divine punishment because she didn't want him to run for president, so she spent the first couple years of the term locked up in her bedroom with grief. Imaging the Twitterverse back then.

As far as your final group, I'd go with
    Tully Blanchard (Cruz), the man with a face you just want to see get punched
    Brian Pillman (Trump), who doesn't give a shit what he says
    Buff Bagwell (Rubio), who looks good, but has no substance to his character
    Special Delivery Jones (Carson), who, on the biggest stage of them all, loses in approximately 9 seconds
    Iron Mike Sharpe (Sanders), who is very loud, and wins a few early, but loses a lot late
    Fabulous Moolah (Clinton), who puts up a championship facade, but underneath, is a slimy schemer.

Batman likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

How the hell is that remotely similar to Trump?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Trump is slimy on a hundred different levels, egotistical and likely corrupt.
    Hillary is slimy on a hundred different levels, egotistical and provably corrupt.
    Both of them seem to feel that being president is some sort of ultimate prize in life, not something to do to make the country better. The biggest difference is that, for all his faults, Trump has worked hard to claw his way to the top in this campaign. Hillary feels like people are obligated to vote for her because she's Hillary Fucking Clinton, God Dammit.

Hillary has an incredible amount of experience in public affairs, yes, but you're kidding yourself if you think she wants to be president for anything more than having a scalp on her wall. She is as detestable a human being as there is in this world.

9. Dick Whitman

He's famous. That's why he's on top of the polls. He's not out working people. He out-Tweets them.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Trump's celebrity is obviously a huge factor in his success so far. Probably the biggest factor. But, for all his obvious faults, he's also done a good job of finding a message that resonates and building support off of that. He's played the same game as all of these other candidates -- 15 or 16 of them -- and done it better than all of them.
    I'm not saying his message is good for the country or that I support it. Personally, I think he's a dangerous and unstable lunatic. I've said that a number of times on this and other threads. I'm just marveling at the effort to get to this point.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

"Worked hard" and Trump do not belong in the same sentence.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

When policy doesn't matter, how do you beat Trump:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.