1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not all paid speech has First Amendment cover, though. Soliciting a prostitute, for instance.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

But the fact that it is paid is not the disqualifier, which is what Gee insanely argued for without thinking it through.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Interesting detail about this from the NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/us/politics/donald-trump-republican-party.html?_r=0
    (forgive if posted before. haven't see it but long thread...)

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Every time I see spoelstra, I think why is Jim Carrey coaching the Heat?

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'd vote for Spoelestra or even Ace Ventura over any of the clowns actually in the race now.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Rick stain
    This conservative agrees with you. I'm sympathetic to the notion that too much money is a bad influence in politics, and would be open to listening to arguments for a constitutional amendment regulating it, though I doubt we could come up with anything that did more good than harm. The problem is that unlike much of the garbage that is ruled protected by the 1st amendment, political speech is exactly what was intended by the 1st amendment, and the government curtailing it is so blatantly unconstitutional that it just can't stand. The right answer is likely that free speech is a mixed bag, where to protect the speech we like we have to protect a lot of speech that is pretty bad.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Some here will find a way to criticize this endorsement:

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

If by criticize you mean laugh about it, sure. I got a chuckle. Jan Brewer is highly representative of the GOP base. Who in the country has been more in favor of rounding up brown people and shipping them back to Mexico and Central America than Jan Brewer? Maybe Sheriff Joe?

Ace likes this.
  11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Amen to this.

Think about the stations in cities and states where you're in play every off year for Congress/Governor, every following year during the early season and then every presidential year. Three of every four years it's political cash.

PACs are the best. We need them to influence the low-information voter who, truthfully, would do society's best interest by not voting.

We consider airing all these political ads a public service. :)

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.