1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Even though it's too early to golf in Massachusetts, Michael ... you nailed that one 275, right down the middle.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Today will be a day long written about and analyzed in political science textbooks. Once the dust settles, there is a momentous decision to be made: Can the Republican party live with Donald J. Trump as its general election nominee?

The answer may be "yes." He has already picked up recent endorsements from two sitting governors and a very visible, very conservative United States Senator. There are cracks in the resistance. If this is the case, then it's just full-speed ahead.

On the other hand, the answer may be "no." That they can't live with him as the nominee, under any circumstances. So what are their options, both devious and above board? You'd hope, I think, that Ted Cruz exits stage left quickly, especially if he loses Texas. Ideally, Marco Rubio will leave the race soon afterward. He's clinging to Florida, but he's trailing Trump there by a massive amount. It's a winner-take-all primary in a populated state. He probably leaves the race after it, setting up a Kasich-Trump showdown the rest of the way, including on Kasich's home turf. Or, as someone floated earlier, they could all stay in, denying Trump a majority of delegates and setting up a brokered convention. Of course, you would be risking long-term damage to the party brand by indicating to people that the primaries are just a charade.

Lots of decisions to start contemplating in the next 24 hours.

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

To me, this was the money quote:
    "That's how I judge a winner, how somebody manages their family, raises their family."

So Brain France finally admitted he's a total loser. Remind me again how that ugly divorce battle is going, Mr. France?

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, the party brand is already fubar.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Trump gets huge diversity bump. Farrakhan stated that Trump “is the only member who has stood in front of Jewish community, and said I don’t want your money. Any time a man can say to those who control the politics of America, ‘I don’t want your money,’ that means you can’t control me. And they cannot afford to give up control of the presidents of the United States.”

http://gawker.com/louis-farrakhan-praises-trump-for-his-independence-from-1762138413

6. Dick Whitman

Not like this. For many years now, one of the most aggressive sales pitches that Republicans have made is that they are the party of the common man, the party that shares your values, and the other party is packed with pointy-headed elites who want to tell you how best to live your life, who think they're smarter than you and simply know more than you do.

And then, after all that, that party leadership is going to go against the clear will of the people in a nomination coup? It's not a great look.

7. Dick Whitman

Farrakhan's a prophet and I think you ought to listen to what he can say to you.

8. LongTimeListener

What you oughta do. Follow for now, power to the people, say make a miracle D, pump the lyrical.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he also took a hit from Shaun King today.

King: Were students tossed from Trump rally for being black?

10. LongTimeListener

What does Shaun King have to do with diversity?

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, geez, in all of message board history, someone was wrong once. Knock me over with a feather.

I for one like o_t. Good to have differing opinions on these boards. It's like having different WWE foils.

The key is for folks not to get carried away with the arguing and take it personally and go on a flame war. Things really have been better about that lately. Which is a good thing.

Batman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.