1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Terrible night for Trump last night:

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They watch "The Apprentice."

That accounts for a very significant percentage of his support.

He could center his campaign around the best way to prepare eggs. He's on TV. He'd get lots of votes.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The "it's far from over" messages coming from the political statheads and poli sci types are now much louder and more desperate than those coming from within the Republican party itself.

TigerVols likes this.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So Democrats are responsible for a decline in the manufacturing sector? How and why did they do that?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think this should be Trump's slogan after hearing him shout it numerous times about prostestors -- or any black people really -- who show up at his rallies.

TRUMP: Get 'Em Out of Here!

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

No, they're wrong.

It's over. Trump will be the nominee.

Damn. I hate typing that.

7. YankeeFan

There's no doubt this is a Yuge factor. His name recognition was 100% coming into the campaign, and people feel like they know him.

But, you're seriously underestimating the appeal of his positions on immigration and trade.

SnarkShark likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, I get it. It's a potent combination to attract 1970s-era Democrats whose party has been kidnapped by Lena Dunham and friends. I have said it repeatedly: My dad would be voting for Trump. Twice if they'd let him.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As it turns out, there's some real research that's been going on since the '90s about the type of voter who would support someone like Trump and, lo and behold, this year Trump has put a face to the research. This is a long piece, but very well worth the read. In short, those who fear social change and disorder, and/or outside physical threats such as foreign terror groups, are likely to support a candidate who promises to act forcefully to remove these threats and maintain the status quo.

The rise of American authoritarianism

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The key word in that post is "dad." Trump is appealing to the Reagan Democrats more than Reagan himself ever did. But the Reagan era was a long, long time ago. I do not believe (could be wrong, of course) millions of these folks have been sitting at home the last two elections waiting for Trump to call them home. Old people vote, and they didn't, by and large, vote for Obama.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No, they're exhibiting their racism by voting for a guy with Cruz's views on immigration and voter suppression, among other issues.

12. YankeeFan

I don't think that's how it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.