1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You called me a racist, dopey. I didn't call you a racist, even though you are.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'd vote for almost anyone over Hillary, but for Hillary over trump. The entire episode is humiliating for the party and the nation. I'm hoping it's a fascinating historical footnote rather than a disastrous era.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Anyone who votes for Trump is a racist moron. I'm sorry the minorities are taking your jobs and making you feel less entitled to shit simply for being white, but being dumb, white and racist is no way to go through life, son.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What's ironic is that his unscripted-ness, his "straight shooting," the reason so many people flock to him, over polished establishment politicians, is ... well .. scripted, according to that quote from his own book.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Every demagogue promises to use power wisely right after all goals are reached and all enemies are vanquished.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My vote won't matter much in Illinois, but I'll crawl over broken glass to vote for Trump over Hillary.

I really don't understand the idea that Trump would be worse than Hillary if you're a Republican.

We know what we'll get with Hillary. While Trump is unpredictable, I'll take my chances with him over her.

He's really not ideological. That pisses off a lot of conservatives. His unpredictability scares off a lot of big business types, who are used to both parties talking a big game, but end up letting business lobbyists write the laws governing them.

But I think people are missing a lot about Trump, and I think it's why people need to read his book(s). He's very honest about himself. Trump is a guy who will want to build a 50-story building, when the zoning only allows for 20-stories. So, Trump will announce plans to build a 100-story building. He'll release drawings, do interviews promoting it, and call the city councilman and planning commissioner losers. Then, he'll end up settling for a 50-story building, which is what he wanted all along.

His bluster has a goal.

So, when he proposes a 45% tariff on China, that's not the goal, and it's not what's going to happen.

But, if the bluster gives China, Iran, Russia, or ISIS pause, it can be useful.

It's not scripted. It's like jazz -- planned improvisation.

7. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

However they play it, the GOP establishment is well and royally screwed this time.

Tinker with the nominating process and Trump's supporters will revolt. Most will stay home in November and Hillary will win in a landslide.

But for the party elites, winning with Trump would be worse in many ways.

There's really no sense in the establishment trying to play nice with Trump's supporters any more. The elites obviously hold them and their own tea party wing in contempt. Despite the short-term political consequences, better for the party to bite the bullet and finally make the clean break with the conservative base that has been in the offing for years.

Free from the obligation to pander to "the wing nuts," the party can finally repackage itself and pursue amnesty and other "big tent" policy positions that will make it more attractive to the growing number of minority voters in future elections.

The current situation is untenable anyhow. All the statistical models suggest you can't win by solely appealing to angry whites, and Trump's ascension has given Ryan and Co. the high ground to implement the nuclear option.

Why not?

SFIND likes this.
  8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So what can be done to get Trump out? I understand all but one other can drop out and they can gang up on him vote wise, but that's still not likely to do the trick, right? What else can they do? What does "revolt" mean exactly?

9. Dick Whitman

Why do that, why try to understand why his positions would or would not actually work, when it's easier to just screech to people about how "scary" he is, then expect them to believe you ... just because.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I'm not a conservative, but only fucking liberal whiners can find a problem with people changing positions on social issues for the good.

They should have realized it sooner, like me!

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Romney speech excerpts that have been released are just as bad (and echo media hysteria).

To say that Trump hasn't disavowed the KKK or has praised Putin is ridiculous, and is aimed at low information voters.

12. Dick Whitman

I'm hoping that we're entering the beginning phases of a three-party system, with establishment Republicans morphing into a "common sense"-type party.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.