1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Then Halperin goes on "Morning Joe" and gives everyone a "B," with a straight face.

What Trump is doing is working because it's half-performance art. He knows people dislike politicians, and so he's pooping on their pompous little gatherings, and people eat it up.

The other half is that he is genuinely a huge asshole.

HanSenSE and Ace like this.
  2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I give Trump and Rubio a D, Cruz a B+ (the booger kept him from an 'A') and Kasich an incomplete because no one considers him a threat.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Every time Ted Cruz says, "I'm a true conservative," I hear, "I don't think for myself." Americans increasingly self-identify as independent, even though they are actually increasingly partisan and polarized. I'm not sure 2016 is the year of the ideologue.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Just like every American identifies as middle class, whether they make 20k a year or have a household of 140k.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

The A/V show used against Trump might have been more effective if it hadn't been used only on him. That sort of rigor and information-backed bullshit calling should be done for every candidate as part of the vetting process, but this was an amplified version of the first Fox debate in which the aim was clear, i.e. get rid of this guy. Trump supporters are rebelling against the process just as much as anything else and last night's debacle, when coupled with the sanctioned Romney takedown, makes the manipulation of the process all the more obvious. I doubt very few minds were swayed.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If you want to brutally kill Donald Trump, now you can -- time and time again!!

Stump the Trump

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I get a laugh out of all the "fact check" stories the day after debates, as if this made-for-TV political theater had anything to do with facts. None of the moderators in either the Republican or Democratic debates have even asked a difficult follow up question or sought to probe deeper into the candidates' public or foreign policy objectives.

Some online poll results:

Poll: Who won the Fox debate (3/3/16)? How did Trump do in the Detroit Republican debate?

Trump Dominating Newsmax TV GOP Debate Poll

Who Won the GOP Debate? Vote in Our Totally Unscientific Online Poll.

**DRUDGE POLL** WHO WON THE 11TH REPUBLICAN DEBATE '16?

Poll: Who won the Republican debate? - Washington Times

Trump Dominating Newsmax TV GOP Debate Poll

http://time.com/4247403/republican-debate-eleventh-fox-news-detroit/

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Because cable news outlets NEED these debates desperately for ratings purposes, the moderators will never be tough interrogators. If a network did that, the candidates would just refuse to do any more at said network, as the Republicans boycotted CNBC.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Exactly. This is wrestling for people who think they're smart. Remember when debates were simply done in a tv studio? I felt like I was watching the old Morton Downey Jr. show last night with all of these halfwits whoops and jeering.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Are you going to provide some examples?

I've spent time with him. I found him fun and engaging. He treated me -- and I was a no one, assigned to him for the day -- like I was a friend and equal.

Part of why people like Hannity and O'Reilly treat him well is because they were already friendly with him.

Mika likes him personally.

Chris Christie has talked about how much fun he has with Trump.

Bill Clinton likes to play golf with him.

Don King and Al Sharpton have been friends and business associates:

Trump’s Pal Al, by Jillian Kay Melchior, National Review

For all his faults, he's nearly universally described as personally charming.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

For the record, I don't think Trump is a racist at all.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Thought the same thing. Was surprised to see that approach, actually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.