1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

An article laying out Trump's (and any Republican's, but he makes it worse) demographic problem:

Donald Trump Needs 7 of 10 White Guys

TowelWaver likes this.
  2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Then why did you bring it up in the first place?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Will you PM mee the deets, YF?

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I understand the perspective of the Americans who don't like illegals coming here and taking their jobs, working for lower pay, etc. Set that argument aside for a moment.

This country was built by people who were living somewhere that was unsatisfactory to them. They were oppressed, there was little hope of advancing themselves, their religious or ethnic group was being attacked, or they simply heard of this new place with broader horizons where they could carve out a better life through hard work. They came here in their thousands, English, French, Spanish, Dutch, Germans. Later it was Irish, Jews, Italians, Chinese. You had African slaves who were brought to this country involuntarily, who have their own historic track here.

Many of the immigrants we're talking about now are basically no different. Conditions where they are from are intolerable, either because of their government, crime, a lack of jobs or a chance to better themselves. You have people who walk from Guatemala or some such, who pay money they have scraped up to coyotes to get them over the border. Often they have left their families at home and hope to earn enough to bring them here. They live six or eight to an apartment so that they can save money, and they bust their humps on what jobs they can find. I've seen them spreading hot tar and pea gravel on a roof in Alabama in August, and I assure you that this American does not want that job. I've seen them in the supermarket on Friday night wiring money home Western Union. This is the spirit, the kind of people who built this country. Someone with the guts to get here that way, to work that hard to make it, is the classic American immigrant story. These are the risk takers, people who are not afraid to take a risk in exchange for freedom and a better life for their family.

Are some of them criminals, either petty or felons? Sure. Some percentage of any group you can name, including policemen, are. Most of them are just working stiffs trying to do better and to see that their kids have it better than they did.

Thing is that most of them have brown skin and they often don't speak the language well or at all at first. They are easily identified and demagogued. Plenty of Germans or Italians had first generation immigrants who didn't speak English - but their children did. That's the immigrant process.

Yeah, it's a different time. The country is more crowded, all of that. Just remember that most of us had families who started out here in a similar way. Many of them were also discriminated against, we just don't think about it. (No Dogs or Irish, etc).

This is why Trump's "Mexico sends us drug dealers, rapists, and burglars" spiel pisses me off. He's just pointing a finger at "the other" in classic demagogue fashion.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL.

He said he interviewed him. Yeah, sure, he sat down with CD Boogie in an off the record conversation.

And CD considers his actions, witnessed by others, after the cameras were shut off are off the record.

6. YankeeFan

I think we all know this is true -- and possible.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In your experience as a lawyer, would you say most people follow all the laws of the land? Have you found anyone who has broken a law to be a good person, regardless?

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, I was kidding about off the record, it was in response to what he said to the New York Times about immigration and referenced in the debate last night. I brought it up because I was stating how clear it was to me that Trump is a shitbag human being.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Mitt Romney won 62 percent of the white male vote.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Of course I have, including myself. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? I'm not arguing that he's correct. People made stupid logical leaps all the time.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I know an awful lot of white guys, both Republican and Democrat, who are noway nohow going to vote for Trump. He seems to top out at 35, 40% of the Republicans, and that won't win.

12. YankeeFan

Which means, Trump can, or cannot, possibly get to 70%?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.