1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Where did I write he's a right wing fanatic?

I wrote he inches in on the right wing media's territory. He does that in manner far more than substance. Half of the biggest provcateurs in the right wing media are put on artists. That's my point. What they really peddle is rage, insults and scapegoating, and trump skips the foreplay and goes right to it. He doesn't even try to be clever, he just calls people names.

It's bad for business.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The business of tactfully insulting your opponents?

3. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

I have enjoyed a hearty laugh at many of the experts who think they have it all figured out, Trump can't win, blah blah blah.

He is running a very effective "outsider" campaign that transcends political labels, defies conventional wisdom and connects with people on both sides of the political aisle who are tired of being played for suckers by their party elites.

Like it or not, Trump's position on border security/immigration appeals to a lot of people who aren't angry white Southerners and don't believe it's "racist" to exercise some type of control over who is allowed to enter this country.

If anything, the Dems should be worried for Hillary. Many of her primary vote totals so far suggest a major excitement gap, and young people/African Americans are most likely not going to turn out for her in anywhere near the same numbers that they did for Obama. Her "likability" numbers aren't discernibly higher than Trump's and she's widely seen as untrustworthy.

I'm certainly not saying I plan to vote for Trump, but underestimate him at your peril.

Batman and SnarkShark like this.
  4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, I could listen to you. Or I could look at the voting results where he consistently only does well with angry white Southerners (and some angry white non-southerners) and has insanely high unfavorables overall.

I'm probably going to listen to the other stuff and not you.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The anger business. Trump's a one-stop
    shop.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is a common belief of the elite Washington media that union members are middle-aged white ethnic guys who're steamfitters and such. Some are, sure. But due to the rise of service worker unions, there are also large numbers of women and minorities who are union members. I put Greenhouse's article into a frame we'll see a lot of until the conventions, in which all the possible ways Trump could win will be explored. Because another common belief of elite Washington media is that nothing good can ever happen to Hillary Clinton.

franticscribe and cranberry like this.
  8. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Listen to whoever you want. But if the GOP base decides to hold its nose and vote in big numbers for Trump to derail another Clinton presidency, she could be in trouble.

Hillary is just not going to jazz up the electorate. There's a feeling that she's the nominee because it's her turn -- she's been loyal, ate all the shit sandwiches served by her husband -- but that's not a recipe for energizing people to get out and vote.

There will be many more Dems who cross over and vote for Trump -- especially in the Rust Belt states -- than Republicans pulling the lever for Hillary.

old_tony likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It has been estimated that Trump will need the votes of 70 percent of all white men to win. No candidate has EVER gotten that number in our lifetimes, not even Reagan in '84. Again, it's possible Trump can win, but it is noteworthy that the Republicans who do politics for a living are so pessimistic about his chances. They know he has a very hard road to hoe.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do get the sense that conservative radio has no idea what to make of this election either. They don't want to alienate their listeners who like Trump so they worry about dissing him and losing listeners, and yet don't want to get caught backing a "loser."

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Per Bovada this morning:

Next President
    Clinton -200
    Trump +200

Party to win the election
    Democratic -210
    Republican +170

cranberry likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Do any of you who are commenting on right wing radio ever listen to it?

SpeedTchr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.