1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is especially true when you consider how likable and appealing the likely Democratic nominee is,and how enthusiastic young and minority voters are about voting for her.

old_tony likes this.
  2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Rick, I gotta hand it to you. Even on a board full of liberal journalists, your undeserved arrogance is, in your words, off the charts. It's quite fascinating.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

She doesn't need to be. She just has to not tank her own voters. Trump isn't close to appealing to 50.1% of the electorate, and most of his style is to go scorched earth on some voting demographics to excite his base.

All she has to do is sit back and let Trump be Trump and collect her walkover.

4. RickStain

"Hey guys, I have a gut feeling based on my observations."

"That doesn't match what we have objectively recorded."

"You are so arrogant!"

It is completely deserved. The world of proof by anecdotes and feelings didn't kill sports journalism, but it made me less sad to see it die.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Come on.

"We're the party of the people! Except for you - your opinion doesn't count because we know what you want better than you do."

Most elections are nothing more than puppet shows anyway, but it's usually a little more subtle than this.

6. RickStain

Clinton's net favorability tracks in the low negative teens at worst. Trump's is in the low negative 40s.

I've seen several posters now try to imply that they are equally disliked, and it isn't even close.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dems don't realize how many of these issues he's already co-opted.

He's not a hard line Republican/conservative, and the positions he is a hard liner on -- immigration, trade, anti-terror -- have broad, bi-partisan support.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's not what she's going to criticize him on. She's going to expose him as a know-nothing celebrity doing this for kicks. As unserious.

9. RickStain

Condescension isn't disenfranchisement. If they change the rules after the fact to reverse a Trump win, that will be disenfranchisement. Right now it is just an argument.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He also doesn't believe in climate change. Reading his chapter on it is like it was written by a fourth-grader. All his chapters are like that, in fact. He believes teachers unions are keeping schools from smaller class sizes. He has picked up bits and pieces from the news over the years, and reached almost completely incoherent opinions about them. Morons then think he's independent-minded. It's like the guy who writes letters to the editor all the time happened to be famous enough to run for president.

I do generally agree with his opinion that the United States should better negotiate from positions of strength. I have long said that we should pressure other nations to pay for our climate change initiatives. He intuitively understands this.

12. RickStain

Anyways, we have some actual contests today.

Some tough to poll ones, and nothing likely to change the races meaningfully. On the Democratic side, Sanders will probably win some states and then lose Louisiana by enough to mean Clinton gains delegates on the day. The people who want to believe it isn't over will find their spin, but the math will continue to grind Sanders away.

The good news for Not Trump is that everything is proportional today and he won't get a majority of the delegates awarded. The bad news is he will probably continue to rack up plurality wins to control the media cycle. The worst news continues to be that he is still easily winning the polling in their hoped-for defensive winner-take-all states like Michigan and Florida.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.