1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Alberta Rafael*

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

After the last debate Trump said (when asked by Bill O'Reilly) that he wouldn't run as an independent if the Republican leadership backdoors him at the convention. He said it's because he didn't think he could win doing that.
    Take it for what it's worth since it's coming from him, but it does show some intellectual honesty. He's aware enough to know where the bulk of his support is coming from, and that splitting that in half is not going to put him in the White House. Now if he's really screwed over it's conceivable he could run a third-party ticket out of spite. He'd definitely get enough votes to keep the Republican candidate from winning, and no one would put it past him. Just depends on how sore of a loser he wants to be.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If he freaks out about people commenting on his hand size, I don't think he's going to react well to losing the nomination through some bullshit brokered convention.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So given the convention is brokered (not saying it will be, but for the sake of argument), and Trump is ousted in favor of Cruz/Rubio/Kasich/Romney/Joe The Plumber, what will the outcome be when Trump sues? And how long does that get dragged out for?

Granted he may say F it and run as a third party, but given his propensity for litigation, it seems like he'd take it to court just as fast.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

A drowning man will grab at the point of a sword...

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Sorry the truth is so painful for you.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He seems to have some integrity. He's the only one left to not try juvenile insults. He seems smart and not someone parroting the same tired shit they think the public wants to hear. Also not big on fear mongering.

Lugnuts likes this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

One of the under-noted aspects about Hillary is she will be 69 on election day; it's rare that a party goes backwards generationally in an election. I, for one, wish there were younger candidates in the mix on the Democratic side...but Elizabeth Warren is 66.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As people live longer, there will be more older candidates from both parties. Also, we've had three two-term Presidents in a row, which is historically rare. This means more waiting time for contenders. As for Warren, she didn't even enter elective politics until she was older than 60.
    BTW, the political science and number cruncher types have pretty much given up any pretense they're not rooting for the anyone but Trump side in order to protect their precious theories. Nate Silver was positively livid the networks called Louisiana for Trump before he thought they should last night.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Our country has been ready for a few cycles already. We just need someone to vote for. Hillary didn't lose because she's a woman.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Remembering the '90s, I don't think the hatred of Hillary is exactly sexism. She was an outspoken First Lady, on hot-button issues. And I think a lot of the reaction, not completely unjustified, was: "Who the hell are you? No one voted for you."

Batman, HanSenSE and Hokie_pokie like this.
  12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What a lot of you seem to be missing about some of us conservatives, probably because YF is so vocal here, is that the problem with trump is not that we think he will lose. We've lost elections before, everyone has. It hurts, but you lick your wounds and try to do better next time. We're afraid he might win. Or even if he loses to Hillary, he is a living confirmation of every ridiculous stereotype that you all have about conservatives.

The fact that he has had as much support as he has is humiliating for the part and the country. He is simply an unserious, and frankly not a good person. He is our national id. As a celebrity, he's harmless. So if you're Romney, sure, get an endorsement, say a few nice things- no big deal. But this would be a nightmare scenario if I had a better imagination. I know most of you don't believe it, but most conservatives are fine, good people who want many of the same things you do but fundamentally disagree with the best way to accomplish those goals. This is a bad guy.

And when President Obama and liberal media people say that he's the same as the other candidates just they say it better, that is a cynical and irresponsible response, that is probably good for them electorally, because nothing is better for the democrats than trump carrying the banner for the other side. But that's only if you're looking at this like Ohio state-Michigan, where whatever hurts my opponent helps me. The country is damaged by Donald trump representing one of the final two candidates for the highest office in the land.

What percentage of the vote could Kim kardashian get? What about Martin sheen? Jimmy Fallon?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.