1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If only it were that simple. Trump might go away, but his supporters will still be there, a large bloc (a little over a third so far) of the Republican-leaning electorate) who will remain a massive target for any less buffoonish demagogue who comes along. These people are not going to sit down, shut up and vote for whichever candidate is deemed acceptable by the donor class. They'll be around for elections after this one.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Frank Bruni couldn't be more happy:

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Putting the individual candidates aside, it's pretty evident that GOP orthodoxy on supply side economics and neocon foreign policy have been thoroughly rejected this primary season. Support is nonexistent for cutting social security and Medicare, too. None of those issues resonate with voters, despite the party elites' efforts to push them with their support for puppet candidates like Litttle Marco.

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Frank Bruni is a font of conventional unwisdom. I think people of all parties and ideologies can agree on that.

old_tony likes this.
  5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

No. None of them were representative of the mainstream party. Palin is closest, but she was clearly simply undervetted. Accidents will happen. Otherwise, every movement and subculture has kooks. I know you think that, which is exactly who I was addressing the post to. I can live with a Mitt Romney - a good man who would have made a fine president who ran a poor campaign in a year he likely would have lost anyway. I would sign for that right now, guaranteeing a Hillary presidency to avoid the spectacle of a Trump candidacy.

Iron_chet likes this.
  6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a fan, but I can totally live with him, even though he's unelectable. He's a smart, serious politician. I couldn't care less if the establishment hates him. What have they done?

old_tony likes this.
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It seems virtually all his colleagues and anyone who has met him hates him. It's not that he's not toeing the establishment line.

His policies aren't so different. It's just him.

Do we really want a president so thoroughly unlikable? A president ideally needs to work with people.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Mitt Romney was never allowed to run as the candidate he really wanted to be. Ditto for rubio, frankly.

As for the kooks...right wing Media is mainstream. It - and a broken, conservative-approved political system that allows rich white men to flood the election system with more money than we'll ever earn - is the source of the GOP's problems.

Just give it 15, 20 years. Just wait. Either the GOP really shifts in ideology, or it'll lose any foothold it has in American society. A mere embrace of Romney care, and Romney is president now. GOP powers wouldn't have it. The party and its media is so drunk on a toxic mix of moralism and stripped-down almost brutish determinism that it can't see straight.

Lugnuts likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hey Cran, would you like to tell me who the neocons are supporting in a Clinton-Trump matchup?

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

We are getting a thoroughly unlikable president regardless.

Ace likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What an idiot. He and Bernie Sanders will still probably be campaigning come Nov. 1, like Japanese soldiers unaware WWII ended years before.

exmediahack and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Her colleagues like her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.