1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Here's their roster from MaxPreps.

Hammond Bishop Noll High School Basketball Roster

Judging by last names, they have three Latinos -- Quintero, Marquez and Rosa -- out of 18 players. Two of them are sophomore JV players, and the third looks like the guy who gets to play about four minutes per game. I can see why they'd want to rattle those guys.
    Agree with you, Dick. It wasn't right, and it was actually stupid of the Andrean students considering there wasn't even a star player they were trying to get under the skin of. If you're going to do racism, at least have a point to it.
    This is also some really bad reporting. It took me 30 seconds to find that roster and surmise that this team was far from "majority Latino." I'm as appalled at that, and the intent of the author for stoking the fires with a blatant factual error, as I am the alleged racist taunts.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it's usually the student sections chanting back and forth. Its connection to anything going on on the floor is pretty tenuous. My theory is that Noll's kids were chanting about Andrean's kids being rich or spoiled. That's usually how it goes. I've heard Andrean chant, "Start the trailer!" at working-class schools, for example.

Batman likes this.
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus ...

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Looks like the school is plurality Latino, though not majority. Stats I found show 42 percent Hispanic, 31 percent white and 21 percent black.

So the other students definitely hit their target in the student section.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's about everything they charge you. You have the right to ask what it costs and what other options there are. But like goodlittle subjects to the big-government cabal, you want no one to ask questions.

Why is medical care any different than all other businesses? It doesn't have to be.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

True. I mean, when you have a kidney stone, it's like buying a TV. You definitely want to do your research and shop for the best price over a period of weeks if not months.

Also, Google makes you as smart as the doctors and nurses.

I Should Coco likes this.
  7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Just call Chef2 if you're not satisfied. Bring him beer.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He's only a podiatrist.

Lugnuts and Iron_chet like this.
  9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Nah. He'll try anything.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Tony's not wrong that Americans need to do a better job shopping for their health care, although the Emergency Room isn't the best place to start quibbling over cost. But tests such as X-Rays, MRIs and CT Scans are all priced differently by various providers. You can go to a medical imaging office that specializes in just those things and pay less than you might when your doctor sends you to the local hospital for the same scan. Americans do not shop for their health care at all, which contributes to higher costs and, often, patients deciding to forego tests, procedures, etc., because they think they can't afford them.

Ace and old_tony like this.
  11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Pretty sure your honesty is going to get you shunned by the cool kids.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Nobody shops for health care. Because expecting them to is dumb.

FileNotFound likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.