1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't judge the morality of your view on abortion unless I know your view about whether or not it takes a human life.

If you think it just removes an object, no biggie. You're good. No moral issue.

If you think it ends a human life, but you are still unwilling to "impose your view", then it's a bit of a moral quandary, isn't it?

Just the idea that you say you don't want to impose your view makes it sound like your own personal moral compass views it as something problematic.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I guess you won't be voting for her now.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

cranberry likes this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

She has just come thisclose to making me a Bernie Bros.

5. Dick Whitman

Batman's frequent reactions, by the way, are a perfect illustration of why I'm sitting this one out. I have no heart any more for demonizing someone to the point that I can't objectively evaluate anything they do. It's such a waste of energy.

6. LongTimeListener

Wow. That Hillary statement. That's pretty bad.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, I was posting that just as a news item of interest. I'm obviously not a Hillary supporter and would never vote for her (nor Bernie), but I wasn't taking any particular glee in that screwup. I really just thought the initial reaction, that people seem to be looking for an excuse not to vote for her and this might be it, was fascinating.

8. Dick Whitman

I assume some lackey wrote that speech, right?

9. LongTimeListener

You have to figure. Then again, maybe that was some of the spontaneity she was planning!

10. Dick Whitman

I would not like to be that person right now.

11. RevPastor

RevPastor Member

I can't get pregnant. I cannot feel something grow inside me. I do not know what I would feel if I did. I do not know what I would think if I did. Would I think it is a life at the size of a pea. Would I think it's a life when it kicks? I cannot get an abortion and therefore hold no opinion of it.

I know people that have had an abortion and they do not feel as though they "ended a human life." I played no part in their pregnancy nor did I know them when they were. How am I to know what was terminated?

12. LongTimeListener

OK I'm going to take a crack at some kind of explanation -- and if it sounds good I'm going to apply for a job on Hillary's crisis communications team, because damn does she need help there!

In 2003, of course, "The Reagans" mini-series was supposed to air on CBS. And as we all probably remember, it was pulled at the last minute because it was deemed unflattering to the couple. Instead it aired on Viacom sister channel Showtime. (I'm assuming it did based on news coverage at the time, though I didn't watch.)

The most prominent objection was a scene in which Nancy asked Ronald to do something about AIDS and to help victims, and Ronald replies that "they that live in sin shall die in sin." The objection was, appropriately enough, that that exchange never happened.

Now ... a not-educated-enough person on her staff could have had some faint recollection of that. Or could have just Googled and read up on the scene without that context. And that could lead a person to conclude that Nancy put some effort into advocating for AIDS research and victims.

While that would be incredibly stupid, it would at least be a plausible mistake. I'd hate to think someone just pulled it out of thin air, though. That would be even dumber.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.