1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, if I believe that grandma is going to put a lot of coal miners out of work, but will get them new jobs in the "green energy" field, I'm what... smart?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

She's going to win four or all five states tomorrow, though, and I think that is going to be pretty much all she wrote for Bernie Sanders.

You mock global warming, but the divide between people who care about it and people who don't is almost as intractable as the abortion divide. Hillary obviously wants to lay the groundwork for the long-term future of the economy. White, working-class voters care about having a job two weeks from now, and who can blame them?

Very broadly, John Kasich seems to have the most sensible understanding of this particular issue. He thinks global warming is real. He thinks we're causing it. But he is very clear that you can't just start throwing people out on their asses over it. Much like free trade, addressing global warming is a move that would have broadly dispersed benefits - but acutely felt pain for an unlucky few.

3. Dick Whitman

You have to stop calling her "grandma." It's juvenile and unbecoming.

4. YankeeFan

If I believe that grandma's position on the death penalty makes sense, that must make me smart too.

She wants to be tough on crime/punishment, so she won't call for a ban on it:

But, she say's she would "breathe a sigh of relief if the Supreme Court or the states themselves began to eliminate the death penalty.”

“The states have proven themselves incapable of carrying out fair trials that give any defendant all the rights that defendants should have, the support that defendants’ lawyers should have,” Clinton said. “And I would breathe a sigh of relief if the Supreme Court or the states themselves began to eliminate the death penalty.”

Such utter bullshit.

This is as dumb as when John Edwards said he was against gay marriage, but hoped his kid's generation would allow it, or when Mario Cuomo said he was personally opposed to abortion, but was politically pro-choice.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Totally disrespectful not to use the capital 'G.'

old_tony likes this.
  6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Hillary wants executions to be safe and rare.

old_tony likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

No one can blame them.

But, this whole, "we're going to close coal companies and put coal miners out of work," came in answer to what she was going to do for white, working class voters.

She promised to put them out of work! But, she's not going to forget about them. She's working on this whole clean energy thing. Surely she'll find them work there.

Let me know if anyone believes her.

The whole answer was completely condescending.

Watch the video. The whole room goes silent as she pledges to put them out of work. She looks to the moderator for help, saying, "right?" to him, Like he's going to reaffirm the correctness of her answer.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

One grandpa would do the same, the other grandpa probably is secretly leaning that way, and the two younger guys who are old enough to have been grandpas when my parents were young probably won't.

9. Dick Whitman

Have the Republican candidates been asked about the death penalty? Or about criminal justice in general? It's remarkable which issues are white hot in certain elections/decades, then non-existent in others. This was one of their staunchest crusades in the '80s and into the '90s.

10. Dick Whitman

It's going to be a rough eight years for you.

11. Dick Whitman

Hillary Clinton is at -1500 to win the Democratic nomination. I have $3,000 sitting in my savings account. It seems like the easiest $200 one will ever make.

Why can't I bring myself to do it?

12. Dick Whitman

Cruz +400 for the GOP nomination. That's a pretty nice bet. And +1200 for the presidency.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.