1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The simple fact that you have a specific suggestion to dismiss as ridiculous makes you a more discerning voter and Clinton a non-cartoonish candidate than Trump and his minions.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There's no doubt that Trump isn't versed in the details of policy. (Especially as opposed to someone like Rubio.) And, he -- and his supporters -- don't view this as a negative.

Trump sees himself as a big picture guy, who can negotiate better "deals" and make good decisions.

The fact that he's willing to go on TV every single day, multiple times per day, reinforces the good and the bad opinions of him.

But, as Dick has said, at least he's willing to put himself out there every damn day and take questions.

Now, Hillary, tries to avoid unscripted moments, choosing to do "safe" interviews when necessary.

(This is a couple of weeks old, but I don't believe it's changed:

It's been 87 days since Hillary Clinton held a press conference, months longer than any other presidential candidate left in the 2016 race.

Taking questions from a traveling press corps is standard for any presidential candidate, especially once early states get underway and voters head into the critical Super Tuesday contests. But in a campaign that has been plagued by access issues, many of the reporters covering Clinton are frustrated and wondering whether this pattern will continue.

The Clinton campaign argues that pressers aren't as important when the candidate is doing regular interviews with local and national print, television and radio outlets.

Number of Days Since Hillary Clinton Held A Press Conference: 87)

So, in the last couple of days, Hillary found herself in a couple of unscripted moments, and here's what we got:

1.) Praise for the Reagans raising the issue of AIDS when others were unwilling to discuss it. (In fairness, this was likely not unscripted, but was in fact a bad script.)

B.) A pledge to help coal miners by putting them out of work

3.) A wish that states or the SCOTUS would put an end to the death penalty, which she supports, because there are so many problems with it.

This is the smartest woman in the world?

These answers are as incoherent as anything put out there this cycle, and they came within 48 hours, in the couple of rare moments where she took questions.

Batman likes this.
  3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I admire your dedication , MC. You have completely bought in to the dismissiveness required of your conversion.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

5. YankeeFan

Nah. I've set myself up so that who is running the country doesn't really effect/affect/impact me.

People need to repair their espresso machines. In good times I sell more new equipment. In bad times, I sell more rebuilt equipment, and make more high priced repairs, as people are unwilling to buy new.

And, after being worried about raising my rates for a long time, I've put in rate increases in each of the last three years without any pushback.

6. Dick Whitman

This is giving him more credit than I would.

It's not that he isn't versed in the details of policy.

He's not versed in the broadest strokes of current events.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

What a selfish prick. People are suffering and all you care about is paying the bills.

8. YankeeFan

That's on the media. There's been 12 debates, and countless other media "Town Halls" and other opportunities to ask questions.

9. Dick Whitman

I have no real issue with it, one way or the other. I was genuinely wondering.

10. YankeeFan

What's the saying? It's a feature, not a flaw?

Trump's winning. I'm not going to argue that he has detailed proposals that he's unwilling to share, but he also has no incentive to release detailed plans. People aren't requiring it of him. Doing so might only turn off supporters.

11. Dick Whitman

Again, the problem isn't that he isn't revealing detailed policy positions or proposals. The problem is that he doesn't know anything about anything that is going on in the world. He really doesn't. I have very serious doubts about whether he could find Syria on a map. Or Israel. He rails against the Common Core. He doesn't know what it is. I mean, he has no idea.

12. YankeeFan

I don't think it's that bad. The guy is a news junkie. He watches all "the shows".

But, I get your larger point.

But, he doesn't see it as a problem. He thinks he can hold a single meeting, get up to speed, and make a decision. (It's not unlike George W. Bush's MBA/CEO/Decider-in-Chief presidency. And, yes, I know a lot of people don't think that turned out so well.)

And, his supporters don't care.

They think he's going to build a wall, make good trade deals, and bomb the shit out of ISIS. That's good enough for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.