1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't think watching cable news to see when and how they mention him qualifies Trump as a news junkie. Attention junkie. Fame junkie. But not news junkie.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh, exactly.

He understands the issues in a broad way, as you would expect from watching "the shows".

No. I don't believe he's read extensively on the issues. I think he's to ADHD to read some long piece on an issue.

Politics to him is sports. He wants to be player, and not just an observer. He really did think he could do better than Mitt Romney, after watching Mitt's performance. And, he might be right.

3. YankeeFan

OK. He's a cable news junkie.

He's not an issues junkie.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Though they are part of the same family tree, like gays and transgendered people, news junkies and issues/policy junkies are not precisely the same. One problem with journalism, in fact, is that it draws too many of the former and not enough of the latter. Trump is a news junkie who thinks he's an issues junkie.

5. YankeeFan

No disagreement.

And, you're right. Trump likely would disagree. He thinks he's more of an issues junkie than he is.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

She truly is an inept politician. There was absolutely no need in answering that question to mention those she intended to throw out of work. Just as there was no need to mention the AIDS thing when eulogizing Reagan. In both cases, she just inexplicably threw in this unnecessary extra thing that could only hurt her. It's plain self-sabotage.

This whole field of candidates is just sad. I wish we could declare a mulligan on this election cycle and start over with a new group.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    Neutral Corner and Batman like this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Jeb Bush was fine. Martin O'Malley was fine. For starters.

No one wanted them.

8. YankeeFan

But, then let's bring this back to Hillary.

The Clintons -- both of them -- have long been described as policy "wonks". Bill loved to stay up all night debating policy, right?

So, why can't Hillary answer a question about Nancy Reagan, coal miners, or the death penalty without stumbling?

And, since this was all within 48 hours or so, in the limited time she was willing to take questions, why should I believe she'd do any better if she was really pressed on the issues?

9. YankeeFan

Rubio knows the issues cold.

And, he was mocked -- especially by left wing pundit types on twitter -- for being creepy because of it. His answers were too polished.

He's a robot! He's scripted!

Sure, he had points he wanted to make, but they were part of a detailed answer to policy questions.

Policy wonks aren't in favor this season.

SFIND likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

I thought Chris Christie was the one who buried him for this?

I hadn't heard that Rubio was considered "creepy" until this thread, the last three or four days.

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

If posters had their own slogans.

SnarkShark, BDC99 and Baron Scicluna like this.
  12. YankeeFan

The criticism was already there.

Christie's attack on Rubio was well telegraphed, and was based on his earlier performance. Rubio should have seen it coming, and made some adjustments. That he didn't was on him.

But the cable networks put together clips of Rubio repeating the same lines, making him look like he couldn't say anything that wasn't scripted, and liberals made a meme out of it.

You could put together similar clips of any politician. They all repeat the same lines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.