1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

What are they going to do? Operate wind turbines on Appalachian Mountains?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Trained for a job that doesn't actually exist yet? Do you really think working class families living in coal country heard that vague promise as adequate compensation for a candidate expressly declaring that she intends to take away their current jobs and destroy the industry that sustains their region?

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

We should get rid of the banking industry, too. They can be trained to repair cars.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm sure companies are just dying to relocate to rural Appalachia, too.

7. Baron Scicluna

You don't destroy an industry without having a plan being implemented to replace it. Hence, why newspapers were fucked up.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, Baron, what percentage of laid off coal miners do you think will find jobs in the renewable energy field.

I'll take a rough guess.

9. Baron Scicluna

She's not winning the election in rural Appalachia.

BTW, according to this, there are 80K people working in coal mining in the U.S.

Coal and jobs in the United States - SourceWatch

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 3.4 million renewable energy jobs in the U.S. In 2011. According to a solar group, so take it for what it's worth, there were 143K jobs in solar energy in the US in 2013. Which is more jobs than coal mining. Another group, again, FWIW, estimates an additional 230K-700K jobs in hydroelectric power by 2025.

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/articles/2015/01/fact-sheet-renewable-energy-job-numbers.html

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm seeing coverage of Palin at a Trump rally happening right now. What happened to her canceling to be with her husband? Or was that a different rally?

11. Baron Scicluna

See my response above. Coal miners' jobs are dying anyways. Hillary's telling them to find different careers in an industry that is growing.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Having gone to college in the foothills, I always joke that we should've put all our major universities in the heart of the Appalachians. It's the only way to get people to live and work there and it makes for a perfect campus feel.

I loved going to school there and would've loved to live there, but it's darn near impossible to find a job — unless you're involved in the fracking industry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.